Question Black screen after RAM upgrade

Jun 8, 2021
Hi guys,

i'm new to this kinda stuff. (foruming & upgrade pc)

So i just bought new ram ADATA 2x16GB 3200Mhz and takes out my previous ram Geil 2x8GB 2666Mhz.

After i turned on my PC, it stuck on the manufacturer page, i tried restart my pc and go to the bios page. The motherboard detects the ram properly. So i did nothing and exit the bios page. Nothing happen, everything went black.

i tried restart my pc again, nothing happen after the manufacturer page, just black.

So i decide to boot with new windows and try to install new windows (just in case the windows broken) but its very laggy and the pc doesn't seem cant install new windows. So i unplug my new ram and install my windows with the previous ram AND IT WORKS.

Before i buy this new ram i obviously check the compability of my processor and motherboard, they say it supports and able to run with that kind of spec.

it says both mobo and procie compatible with 3200Mhz RAM, and compatible up to 64GB RAM

What should i do ? and what's the problem ? should i try update the bios ?

yeah, RIP english.

PC Spec:
Motherboard: ASRock B550M-HDV
Procie: Ryzen 7 3700X
VGA: 1060 6GB
Previous RAM: 2x8GB 2666Mhz
New RAM: 2x16GB 3200Mhz

Ralston18

Titan
This:

"So i unplug my new ram and install my windows with the previous ram AND IT WORKS. "

= = = =

Is/was the original RAM modules a matched pair for dual channel use?

Is the new RAM a matched pair for dual channel use?

Check the motherboard's User Guide/Manual and the motherboard's manufacturer's website to be sure that the new RAM is indeed supported by the motherboard.

Look for the QVL (Qualified Vendors List).

Details matter.

Jun 8, 2021
This:

"So i unplug my new ram and install my windows with the previous ram AND IT WORKS. "

= = = =

Is/was the original RAM modules a matched pair for dual channel use?

Is the new RAM a matched pair for dual channel use?

Check the motherboard's User Guide/Manual and the motherboard's manufacturer's website to be sure that the new RAM is indeed supported by the motherboard.

Look for the QVL (Qualified Vendors List).

Details matter.

"Is/was the original RAM modules a matched pair for dual channel use?" Yes

"Is the new RAM a matched pair for dual channel use?" Yes

both my previous and new RAM matched pair for dual channel use. and the motherboard support both DR RAM

Ralston18

Titan
Does the following link provide the applicable motherboard User Manual for your computer?

https://download.asrock.com/Manual/B550M-HDV.pdf

Do verify that I found the correct manual.

Reference physically numbered pages 2 (Memory) and 21 (Installation) to double check that the RAM modules and physical installation are correct.

Try each RAM module by itself to determine if one module or the other is defective.

Jun 8, 2021
Does the following link provide the applicable motherboard User Manual for your computer?

https://download.asrock.com/Manual/B550M-HDV.pdf

Do verify that I found the correct manual.

Reference physically numbered pages 2 (Memory) and 21 (Installation) to double check that the RAM modules and physical installation are correct.

Try each RAM module by itself to determine if one module or the other is defective.

Thanks for the link.

I did check the manual and i already double crosscheck the way i install the ram but i don't think the way i install the ram is not the problem because both ram is actually detected when i open the BIOS menu.

Ralston18

Titan
I am not aware of any reasons to not name the source.

The purpose is not to promote or disparage that source and such actions/posts would be deleted.

The reason I asked is because the problem appears to be narrowing down to a RAM related problem.

There are many sellers out there who knowingly sell defective, sub-standard, and even counterfeit products.

And those sellers may not always be widely known or recognized.

In your case the seller being a "famous PC parts distributor & seller in my country " I would not expect that you would have any problems returning the RAM as defective.

Returning products is never fun so before going that route try some other things....

Do you have another known working computer that you can test the new RAM in? Or other RAM modules that you can test in your computer?

Objective being to confirm that the new RAM is indeed the problem.

Then contact the seller and let them know about the problems. Be sure to document all calls and correspondence.

Jun 8, 2021
I am not aware of any reasons to not name the source.

The purpose is not to promote or disparage that source and such actions/posts would be deleted.

The reason I asked is because the problem appears to be narrowing down to a RAM related problem.

There are many sellers out there who knowingly sell defective, sub-standard, and even counterfeit products.

And those sellers may not always be widely known or recognized.

In your case the seller being a "famous PC parts distributor & seller in my country " I would not expect that you would have any problems returning the RAM as defective.

Returning products is never fun so before going that route try some other things....

Do you have another known working computer that you can test the new RAM in? Or other RAM modules that you can test in your computer?

Objective being to confirm that the new RAM is indeed the problem.

Then contact the seller and let them know about the problems. Be sure to document all calls and correspondence.

Thank you for your explanation.

Yeah currently i using my pc using my old RAM. Works well and i can test my new ram using my friend's PC which has pretty similar specs

Processor: Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard: Aorus B450

Well i hope my new RAM is "broken" so i can get a refund or new product.

i'll keep update. Thank you guys!!!