Question Black screen after re-boot after fresh Windows install on new system ?

Jan 22, 2023
I am rebuilding a PC after having a CPU fan fail and fry my AMD Ryzen 7 CPU. My new build works well enough to fully install Windows 10 Pro 64, but one I re-boot the system after completing the Windows install the system displays a black screen after POST. On re-boot, I can access BIOS normally, but I can[‘t get windows to load / display. I can re-install Windows and have the system function normally (i.e., I can install other software, update windows, access the internet and install alternate browsers, etc.) but once I re-boot the system the gripe reappears and I am left with a black screen.

Based on troubleshooting assistance from ASUS, I initially thought the issue was my motherboard (ASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi), so I swapped it out for an MSI MEG x570 Unify board, but I am having a very similar issue with the new board – I can install Windows normally, but when I re-boot the system I am unable to get Windows to load. The system POSTs, but now hangs with the MEG splash screen displayed. The board’s LED display shows one of several codes while the splash screen is displayed. Initially I would see the following two codes that would alternate as the system sat idle:

61 NVRAM Initialization
62 Installation of PCH Runtime Services

After re-seating my ram I now see the following two codes alternating as the system sits idle:

65 CPU DXE Initialization (CPU Module Specific)
66 CPU DXE Initialization (CPU Module Specific)

I am at my wit's end with this. I updated my BIOS prior to installing Windows on both boards, I've pulled my ram and re-seated it, pulled all but one stick of ram, and then subbed each stick one after the other with no change. I've pulled and re-seated my video card, pulled and re-seated the NVME drive, and even tried using a different SATA SSD drive in place of the NVME drive, all with the same result.

What am I missing? What else can I do to narrow down this gripe?

Current configuration:
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Noctua NH-D9L CPU fan
MSI x570 MEG Unify motherboard
32gb G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3000
Zotac GTX1060 AMP 6GB DDR5
WD Black SN770 1 TB NVME hard drive
EVGA 850 G3 Gold power supply