[SOLVED] Black screen after replacing CPU and Motherboard

Sep 23, 2021
Hello,

Recently I damaged my AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor and ASRock B450M-HDV R4.0 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard. I replaced them with AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 6-Core 12-Thread Desktop Processor and another ASRock B450M-HDV R4.0 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard.

The computer powers on, but monitors display "no signal/cable connected". I have tried resetting CMOS, and the little battery inside. I have also tried plugging in the HDMI cable directly into the Motherboard.

Here are the other pieces:
Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory
MSI GeForce GTX 970 4 GB GAMING Video Card

I am wondering if my problem has anything to do with BIOS, but I am unsure how to reset or remove that, as I do not have access to the old CPU.

many thanks!

Solution
I am wondering if my problem has anything to do with BIOS, but I am unsure how to reset or remove that, as I do not have access to the old CPU.
BIOS update is necessary there.
Ryzen 5 5600G is supported with BIOS version P4.50 or later.

You'll need older CPU version to update. For example Athlon 200GE.

popatim

Titan
I'm thinking that you get a blackscreen because you've connected the display to the 970 and the default GPU is probably the one built into the 5600G.
Power off, swap to the 5600G and once you get booted you can enter the bios and set the PCIE/PEG GPU as the one to initialize first.

Sep 23, 2021
I'm thinking that you get a blackscreen because you've connected the display to the 970 and the default GPU is probably the one built into the 5600G.
Power off, swap to the 5600G and once you get booted you can enter the bios and set the PCIE/PEG GPU as the one to initialize first.

Thank you for your response!

I powered on with the HDMI in the 5600, then tried again after removing the 970 from the mother board (HDMI still in 5600), then powered on.

I tried to enter BIOS a number of time pressing F2 after pressing the power button, but I have not been able to see a menu.

Ryzen 5 5600G is supported with BIOS version P4.50 or later.

Last edited:
Solution
Sep 23, 2021
Ryzen 5 5600G is supported with BIOS version 4.50 or later.

Thank you for your guidance. If I got another AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, would I still require an older CPU to update first?

And for the older CPU, I tried AMD Ryzen 3 1200 in PC Part Picker, and there were no BIOS warnings. Could I use that instead of the Athlon 200GE?

thank you in advance.

Thank you for your guidance. If I got another AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, would I still require an older CPU to update first?
Depends on current BIOS version of the board.
Ryzen 7 3700X is supported from BIOS version P2.30
And for the older CPU, I tried AMD Ryzen 3 1200 in PC Part Picker, and there were no BIOS warnings. Could I use that instead of the Athlon 200GE?
Yes. That works too.