Question Black screen after replacing hard drives

pkrahn

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2014
Yesterday I unplugged my two installed extra drives and plugged in a couple of old ones to retrieve some data. It worked fine, but today when plugging the others back in, I didn't see them listed. The partition manager saw them but seemed empty, and I couldn't access them. I restarted, still nothing. And a third time.

I think it was the fourth, after doing the cmos thing and maybe some other minor stuff, that I could't get to bios any longer. This time I was going to check the drives there but it's just a black screen. So I shut it down, unplugged the battery, gpu, ram, did the cmos thing again, pressed the power button for a while, waited a few minutes, still nothing! At this point I have no idea what to do. It's an ASUS b-550 motherboard, 3070 amd cpu, 3080ti gpu. Any ideas?

Last edited:

pkrahn

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2014
I wonder if for some reason the display just stopped working? Since the motherboard light is on, it's a white light, everything looks like it's running. My keyboard light is on too. The monitor though works fine with my macbook so it's functional, as is the cable. And it was all working a couple of hours ago.