[SOLVED] Black screen after running certain games for random period of time

meowbits

Reputable
Oct 27, 2017
hwinfo log
system info

Hello,

I have a newer PC from this year which has ran great for low demand gaming. Recently I purchased New World and have started to experience a black screen after a random period of time playing the game, usually within 15minutes. In conjunction with the black screen, there is a brief drag of audio sound which resumes to normal levels afterward. From what I can tell, the PC continues to run normally, minus the screen. Eventually I physically restart.

From what I can tell the temperatures and power levels are fine but I was hoping to get some advice from the community. I can purchase another PSU to test with if necessary but GPU is not something I can readily acquire at this time.

I've attached links for the system overview from HWInfo, and the logs leading up to the crash. I ran a different game for the first 45minutes, and started the one which crashes in the last few minutes (8pm).
Not listed in the system file, this is my PSU - Corsair RMX 850 gold (https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...ply-Units-Advanced/RMx-Series/p/CP-9020180-NA)

Anything you notice/recommend?

Appreciate your input.

Solution
hwinfo log
system info

Hello,

I have a newer PC from this year which has ran great for low demand gaming. Recently I purchased New World and have started to experience a black screen after a random period of time playing the game, usually within 15minutes. In conjunction with the black screen, there is a brief drag of audio sound which resumes to normal levels afterward. From what I can tell, the PC continues to run normally, minus the screen. Eventually I physically restart.

From what I can tell the temperatures and power levels are fine but I was hoping to get some advice from the community. I can purchase another PSU to test with if necessary but GPU is not something I can readily acquire at this time.

I've...
hwinfo log
system info

Hello,

I've attached links for the system overview from HWInfo, and the logs leading up to the crash. I ran a different game for the first 45minutes, and started the one which crashes in the last few minutes (8pm).
Not listed in the system file, this is my PSU - Corsair RMX 850 gold (https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...ply-Units-Advanced/RMx-Series/p/CP-9020180-NA)

Anything you notice/recommend?

Appreciate your input.
try this step by step (read until end):
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall gpu driver DDU (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors on device manager (should be 12 on yours, also when it asks for restart, click on no) like this:
    unknown.png
  • Restart the pc to bios, and update to the latest bios. Then go to bios again after update and load default or optimized settings.

• boot up to windows and install the latest AMD Chipset driver, reboot, and connect to internet.

• Install the latest nvidia driver.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did) and make sure ram is on slot 2 and 4 if you use 2 sticks. Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• And check windows update (and optional updates) if there is any and install them (except chipset in optional update). Also enable Hardware Accelerated Graphics Scheduling (available on the latest win 10 update) in graphics settings like this and reboot:
    unknown.png
Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
unknown.png

Solution

meowbits

Reputable
Oct 27, 2017
Ran through the listed changes. Game in question is currently experiencing server issues. Will validate tomorrow to see if the changes addressed original issue. Thanks for the suggestions.

Reactions: Koekieezz

meowbits

Reputable
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks koekieezz.

Unfortunately I ran into the same issue after a short time (can't complain about updated BIOs etc. though..)

Having said that, I figured I'd try to ramp up the GPU fans with a higher curve through afterburner. Turns out that did resolve the issue - obviously not the best for fan longevity, but getting me though for now.

Thanks for your support, I believe the issue is actually GPU overheating, not sure there is a lot to do with it for now.

Reactions: Koekieezz