[SOLVED] Black screen after trying to flash BIOS with an older version ?

Simpan31

Commendable
Jul 8, 2021
Hi

I got a lenovo legion y540 today i tried to downgrade my bios version to a older version and it went wrong so i shut off the laptop in the middle of the bios downgrade process. So the laptop got power the keyboard lights up but the caps lock button does not work or light up when i press it and i got no display but the laptop boots up and i get power from the usb ports. Right now i try to reset the cmos battery and the laptop battery overnight to see if it will work. Do you think i will have to replace the motherboard?

DSzymborski

Titan
Ok. They just said they had to replace the motherboard that will cost 800 $

Yup, that's pretty much how it works. The motherboard is basically the entire laptop since most laptop motherboards these days have everything integrated.

I'm curious; why were you downgrading the BIOS on a laptop you just purchased? The reasons to flash a BIOS on a laptop are rarer than hen's teeth and if there was a problem out of the box, the solution is a return, not a relatively risky procedure.

Simpan31

Commendable
Jul 8, 2021
Yup, that's pretty much how it works. The motherboard is basically the entire laptop since most laptop motherboards these days have everything integrated.

I'm curious; why were you downgrading the BIOS on a laptop you just purchased? The reasons to flash a BIOS on a laptop are rarer than hen's teeth and if there was a problem out of the box, the solution is a return, not a relatively risky procedure.

Because i didnt think i just had the laptop for a year i think it was the wrong model too.

I still try to figure out if its fixable i mean the computer still has power. Im looking at trying to buy a new bios chip.
Motherboard is not broken, but bios is corrupted. all you need to do is go the the service center, or go to someone who's expert t flashing the chip directly. some laptop have separate bios chip and ec chip, or separate region. that's why you wont never shut off bios during update, because it is basically the vital firmware.