Black Screen After Update

CamronB

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2013
I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 several months ago. Anytime it tries to update, it’ll go to just a black screen after the restart (no logo screen, no bios access, nothing). Anytime this happened before, it eventually booted up after turning it off and on several times, then would say something like “Windows failed to update. Reverting to previous version.” This time, it eventually booted back up, finished installing the update (for once), then went to the normal login screen. I had taken some components out to make sure they weren’t faulty. So, I turned it off, installed the video and audio cards again, and now it’s back to the black screen. Took the components back out, still black screen.

I can’t access the bios. The “boot device led” is on. I get a single beep telling me that hardware is fine. All lights and fans run. My last idea is to leave it unplugged with the CMOS battery out for a while. If that doesn’t work, I have no idea. I tried different cables to the SSD to no avail and got a new CMOS battery. I don’t think it’s a hardware issue because I only have this issue after Windows 10 has tried to update. Could it have corrupted firmware in the motherboard? Even unplugging the SSD doesn’t allow it to enter BIOS or show the ASUS logo screen.

Specs:
i7 3770k CPU
P8Z77-V Pro Asus Motherboard
16GB RAM
Crucial M4 SSD boot drive
Samsung Evo SSD secondary drive
EVGA GTX 980 Ti
Seasonic 660W Power Supply

Solution
Update:

I fixed the issue. I used the USB BIOS flashback feature the Asus motherboards have. I think the issue was my motherboard software was still a Windows 7 version. Updated to the Windows 10 version, and it seems fine now. I guess I’ll find out for sure the next time Windows 10 tries to update since that’s the only time it ever acted up.

CamronB

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2013
Update:

I fixed the issue. I used the USB BIOS flashback feature the Asus motherboards have. I think the issue was my motherboard software was still a Windows 7 version. Updated to the Windows 10 version, and it seems fine now. I guess I’ll find out for sure the next time Windows 10 tries to update since that’s the only time it ever acted up.

Solution