Question Black screen after updating BIOS on MSI X570 Tomahawk ?

May 6, 2023
Hello,

I've tried to troubleshoot this myself but to no success (and read other threads too).

I bought my friend's PC which was working absolutely fine. But I wanted to reset everything on it. I started with windows first then realised the BIOS was never updated so I decided to do that too. I'm not unfamiliar with this process either.

Specs are:
MSI X570 Tomahawk
RTX 2070 (ASUS)
2 x 16GB RAM (Corsair)
CPU is Ryzen 3700x.
There is an M2 (Corsair MP600) and an SSD (Samsung 870).
PSU is a Corsair 750W

Downloaded the latest bios onto my USB stick, went to M-Flash. IT started the process and I'm also sure it reached 100% but whilst I was working on my other computer, I noticed screen went black and the PC didn't shut down. It must have been a good 30 + minutes. After an hour, I decided to switch it off since there was nothing I could do - my K+B was not working on it either.

The PC switches on and I get two white lights on the EZ Debug for BOOT and VGA.

I've tried clearing the CMOS with jumpers/screwdrivers, removing the battery and it still won't load anything up on screen.

I thought I'd try the Flash BIOS Button with a fresh memory stick. I've tried this twice with 2 different BIOS versions. (latest and an older one). It does the whole flashing LED thing and then stops. I turn the PC off after at least 5 minutes after the LED blinking stops. Still not loading anything up.

Also did this with RAM, and GFX removed.

I feel so stupid now for bothering with the BIOS update.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
May 6, 2023
Sorry forgot to add those.
CPU is Ryzen 3700x. There is an M2 (Corsair MP600) and an SSD (Samsung 870).
PSU is a Corsair 750W

This PC has been working fine for a couple years prior to me doing this BIOS update . I've tested other working GPUs in it and still no success. Tried with 1 RAM stick , re-seated everything. Whatever the problem is has something to do with the BIOS update I think.

Also tried flashing BIOS again (via the USB and Flash BIOS button since I can't get it to POST) and using different versions too.

May 6, 2023
Yes I agree but unsure what to do after reattempting flashing several times.

Just a quick update - I decided to try flashing with the original version of BIOS it came with (as far as I can tell -7C84v11). I took a photo of my BIOS before doing it which showed E7C84AMS.110. I assume 110 = 11. Dates were similar.

This time it behaved differently . The Flash BIOS LED was flashing white. After about 5 minutes It then powered down and back over 2 seconds (it didn't do this with previous flash attempts). Then the flash BIOS LED stayed permanently white. Not flashing but also not turning off so I think it didn't work. I left it for 20 minutes before turning it off. Unfortunately hasn't worked. Also this time there are no EZ Debug Lights on....

It seems like a similar behaviour to my first flash attempt using M-Flash where it got "stuck" at the end of flashing.

I really can't be bothered to strip it all down and try but I may have to. I did this with just the CPU and RAM on board within the PC case

May 6, 2023
Tried to update to latest version of bios using a different memory stick. as before, flashes 5 or so minutes but then stays solid.

upon rebooting - no POST and VGA and BIOS lights are on now.

stripped it down to just CPU (no thermal paste to reapply). still no dice. no debug lights using V11 of the BIOS.
I'm completely out of ideas and frustrated!

Last edited:
May 6, 2023
Thank you for the reply. This isn't something I can do myself then? Is it easily sorted in a shop?

Is it worth going through to MSI/retailer? Think it may still be under warranty but I don't know if corrupting a bios is within such warranties.