Kilo007

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2014
I was trying to turn on Secure Boot because some games demand that feature. After going into the BIOS and updating the platform keys, the PC restarted and never turned on. There is no signal and it can't even get to BIOS. I've tried removing the CMOS battery and putting it in again, removing the GPU, swapping cables and monitors, nothing changed.

Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming 3
(F52i BIOS version)
AMD Ryzen 5600X
GTX 1070
Windows 11

I was trying to turn on Secure boot because some games demand that feature. After going into the BIOS and updating the platform keys the PC restarted and never turned on. There is no signal and it can't even get to BIOS. I've tried removing the CMOS battery and putting it in again, removing the GPU, swapping cables and monitors, nothing changed.

Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming 3
(F52i BIOS version)
AMD Ryzen 5600X
GTX 1070
Windows 11
Is your system drive using GPT partitioning scheme? If not UEFI and secure boot won't work.

Disable them so you can start you computer again, then convert your MBR disk to GPT using Microsoft's tool and instructions.

Once in GPT you can enable UEFI (or disable CSM mode) and run the system in Windows WHQL mode, then enable Secure Boot using the guide.

I know it's too late for you but you should not attempt to enable Secure Boot on Gigabyte board. That often ends in dead mobo, specifically corrupted BIOS. Out of the steps that possibly work in such scenario you did not try yet is trying CPU with integrated graphics (without GPU) to reach BIOS and disable Secure Boot that way. If that fails (or you can't obtain required CPU) then you need to replace BIOS chip (and even that is not 100% sure to work). Sorry to bring bad news, you are not the first to learn it the hard way.

Kilo007

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2014
Is your system drive using GPT partitioning scheme? If not UEFI and secure boot won't work.

Disable them so you can start you computer again, then convert your MBR disk to GPT using Microsoft's tool and instructions.

Once in GPT you can enable UEFI (or disable CSM mode) and run the system in Windows WHQL mode, then enable Secure Boot using the guide.

I can't change anything on the PC, it's a permanent no signal/black screen. I wish I could enter BIOS.

Kilo007

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2014
I know it's too late for you but you should not attempt to enable Secure Boot on Gigabyte board. That often ends in dead mobo, specifically corrupted BIOS. Out of the steps that possibly work in such scenario you did not try yet is trying CPU with integrated graphics (without GPU) to reach BIOS and disable Secure Boot that way. If that fails (or you can't obtain required CPU) then you need to replace BIOS chip (and even that is not 100% sure to work). Sorry to bring bad news, you are not the first to learn it the hard way.

Sadness... I don't understand why the integrated GPU makes a difference though?

I can't change anything on the PC, it's a permanent no signal/black screen. I wish I could enter BIOS.

That's sad indeed. I also have a Gigabyte AB350m Gaming 3 (mATX version of your board). It sits on a shelf now. Back in the day of the Ryzen first launch it was famous for something called "cold bricking", as were most of Gigabyte's boards, if a bad BIOS setting was entered. The symptom was the same: no boot with a blank screen on the monitor. A simple CMOS reset wouldn't work, the only fix when it happened was to short the reset pins in addition to removing the battery and leaving it out for a long time...overnight was a reliable time period. Not sure what it did but it would reset CMOS.

It's worth trying for you, hopefully it helps. At any rate, this is just one reason that Gigabyte motherboard sits on a shelf.

Last edited:

Kilo007

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2014
Changing Bios settings breaks a Motherboard?
Shame on the manufacturer if they don't honor the warranty!

The worst thing is the documentation around Windows 11 and all the security boot/keys settings (and the GPT/MBR setting). There are probably tens of thousands of people that had this exact thing happen...