[SOLVED] black screen after upgrading CPU

Aug 18, 2019
Hello everyone. I have problem with my PC after I tried to upgrade my CPU (specifications below). After upgrade, PC won´t boot – there is just a black screen. Not even BIOS shows. All fans and components seem to be working. Then I tried it with my old CPU and same result. I applied correct amount of thermal paste and heatsink is not loose. No bent pins. After reading alI threads here regarding this problem, I tried to reseat CPU several times, tried different monitor, I tried to reseat my GPU and nothing. Do you have any idea what might be the problem and souluton here?

Old CPU: Intel I3 2120
New CPU: Intel I5 2500k
Motherboard: Dell 0GDG8Y

Thank you for your help.

Solution
I've read quite a few adventures that people have had swapping CPUs.

I get it. They are supposed to be upgradeable. Pop one out pop new one in. But I think that in many cases we are better off thinking of them as married for life and better to get new a new mobo for a new cpu.

It would be nice to have data on how often swaps like this go wrong. The video channels make it look easy but in real life there are many glitches. These are complex systems and manufacturing quality is only so so. -Greg N
Aug 18, 2019
Hi Liam, thank you for your swift reply. No I have not - because that wouldn´t explain why old CPU doesn´t work now, so I think CMOS is not a problem in this case.

liamwhalley20

Prominent
Nov 27, 2018
well i still suggest trying it just for the process of elimination, if it works, Job done. If not then try something else. you could've possibly bricked your motherboard, is the ram seated properly? are you running dual or single channel ram? if single is it in the right slot?

is the 4 pin cpu cable seated properly?

Aug 18, 2019
Ram and cpu cable is seated properly. I tried to clear CMOS battery - PC still doesn´t boot, but new thing is, that it does 5 beeps - which really indicates problem with CPU. Any ideas what should I try next?

Aug 18, 2019
No bent pins. After I cleaned slots and sticks from dust and refitted it again, it worked. So for everyone who would have same problem - it is probably some problem related to RAM.
Thank you guys for your help.

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
I've read quite a few adventures that people have had swapping CPUs.

I get it. They are supposed to be upgradeable. Pop one out pop new one in. But I think that in many cases we are better off thinking of them as married for life and better to get new a new mobo for a new cpu.

It would be nice to have data on how often swaps like this go wrong. The video channels make it look easy but in real life there are many glitches. These are complex systems and manufacturing quality is only so so. -Greg N

Solution