Question Black screen after upgrading CPU

Feb 3, 2020
Hey guys hope you can help me with this one.

I have a Dell Optiplex 390 DT, it came with an Intel core i3 2120 3.30GHz. I put in an old 720 GT GPU and upgraded to 8GB RAM. This all works, however I am trying to upgrade the CPU. I put in a XEON e3-1220V2 3.10GHz, added thermal paste and put the heatsinkl back on. I turn it on and the fans run but the screen stays completely black. I have the latest BIOS and I'm pretty sure the CPU is compatible. Any ideas?

Thanks.

@TheAtero
I would assume the CPU is not compatible ... why?
  1. It's a Dell. Dell has limited interest in you upgrading your machine. They want you to buy a new one. They are unlikely to add new microcode to BIOS when new CPUs come out.
  2. The i3 2120 is a Sandy Bridge CPU and the Xeon e3 is Ivy Bridge ... yes, Ivy and Sandy can use the same hardware, but you need a microcode update to BIOS.
  3. Xeon is a server chip (even if it is a rebranded i5 or i7). Dell has little interest in adding microcode for server chips to consumer level computers.
and finally ... this:
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/optiplex-390-cpu-upgrade.3230041/

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2020
@TheAtero
I would assume the CPU is not compatible ... why?
  1. It's a Dell. Dell has limited interest in you upgrading your machine. They want you to buy a new one. They are unlikely to add new microcode to BIOS when new CPUs come out.
  2. The i3 2120 is a Sandy Bridge CPU and the Xeon e3 is Ivy Bridge ... yes, Ivy and Sandy can use the same hardware, but you need a microcode update to BIOS.
  3. Xeon is a server chip (even if it is a rebranded i5 or i7). Dell has little interest in adding microcode for server chips to consumer level computers.
and finally ... this:
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/optiplex-390-cpu-upgrade.3230041/
Thank you so much for the quick reply and the advice! So an i5-2400 should work?
Thanks again

@TheAtero
The i5-2400 should work according to Dell documentation.

The i5 is a 95 W CPU while the i3 is a 65 W CPU. It will run a tad hotter. The box version of these CPUs came with the same cooler. Images from the web show an after market cooler with optiplex 960. It looks a bit beefier, so I bet it's fine. You will want a fresh layer of thermal paste and remember that less is more (don't smear it all over, just enough to cover).

Feb 3, 2020
@TheAtero
The i5-2400 should work according to Dell documentation.

The i5 is a 95 W CPU while the i3 is a 65 W CPU. It will run a tad hotter. The box version of these CPUs came with the same cooler. Images from the web show an after market cooler with optiplex 960. It looks a bit beefier, so I bet it's fine. You will want a fresh layer of thermal paste and remember that less is more (don't smear it all over, just enough to cover).
Thanks I’ll use the same one then

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS