[SOLVED] Black screen after upgrading RAM

Apr 16, 2020
I just upgraded my RAM from CL16 Trident Z F4-3200C16D-16GTZRX to CL14 Trident Z F4-3200C14D-16GTZRX to be more compatible with my Ryzen 2700X.
Since I put in the new RAM, my computer will beep for post but then not show anything on screen, followed by one long and three short beeps. According to the manual, this means a GPU problem. The only thing I changed was my RAM, and even when I put my old RAM back in, the same problem occurs. It turns on, the GPU fans go wild, gives a single beep for posting, then one long and three short beeps. Yes, the RAM is seated properly and in the correct slots.
I've tried resetting it several times by doing a CMOS reset, with both new sticks, one new stick, the other new stick, my old sticks, one of my old sticks, without the GPU, after reinstalling the GPU, and I'm still getting the same problem. I cannot get into BIOS to change any settings like manually setting the timing and voltage.

Thank you for your time

Specs:
Ryzen 2700X
ASUS Prime X470-Pro
EVGA RTX 2070 Black
Trident Z RGB 3200MHz Cl14, F4-3200C14D-16GTZRX (Samsung B-Die)

Solution
OK, well, just so you know, you'll get GPU beep error without a GPU plugged in because your CPU doesn't have built in integrated graphics so you NEED a graphics card to get any kind of video signal.

Since you say you've tried CMOS, done RAM swapping which can be seen as the same as reseating it, and you say you have taken the GPU out, that means you've done reseating for that as well.

Try plugging the graphics card into one of the lower PCIe slots (assuming it's been in the top most slot this whole time which it should be by default always)

If using different PCIe slots shows no good results then the only thing you can do is assume the graphics card is dead.
If the graphics card is dead, there's two most common and likely reasons...

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
you should do a CMOS reset.
Just turn off the PC.
flip the switch on the power supply.
unplug the cable from the power supply.
press and hold the power button for 10 seconds.
then go in and remove the little CMOS battery and leave it out for 5 minutes.

Then put it back in, plug the power cable back in, flip the switch and turn on the system.

Apr 16, 2020
you should do a CMOS reset.
Just turn off the PC.
flip the switch on the power supply.
unplug the cable from the power supply.
press and hold the power button for 10 seconds.
then go in and remove the little CMOS battery and leave it out for 5 minutes.

Then put it back in, plug the power cable back in, flip the switch and turn on the system.
As I said in the original post, I did this several times

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
OK, well, just so you know, you'll get GPU beep error without a GPU plugged in because your CPU doesn't have built in integrated graphics so you NEED a graphics card to get any kind of video signal.

Since you say you've tried CMOS, done RAM swapping which can be seen as the same as reseating it, and you say you have taken the GPU out, that means you've done reseating for that as well.

Try plugging the graphics card into one of the lower PCIe slots (assuming it's been in the top most slot this whole time which it should be by default always)

If using different PCIe slots shows no good results then the only thing you can do is assume the graphics card is dead.
If the graphics card is dead, there's two most common and likely reasons.
Reason one is that it was just a faulty card that finally gave out.
Reason two is that your power supply killed it if it's a poor quality power supply.

Ways to go about checking that it really is the graphics card.
Assuming you have a good quality power supply, then you can get another graphics card either by having one laying around/pulling it from another system, or borrowing one from someone you may know that has a PC with dedicated graphics.

If the quality of your power supply is in question, then you'll need to not risk killing another GPU by using it, and put your graphics card into a different system that is known to be working, such as a friends PC.

If you can do one of these things to confirm that the graphics card is dead or not it will help you to officially know what's up.

In the event that the graphics card truly is dead, again, there are two most common and likely reasons it died, but you can use your warranty if you still have one to get it replaced.

Solution