Question Black screen after upgrading RAM

May 21, 2023
Hi! Recently i bought 2 4GB 1333mhz (KVR13N9S8/4) ram sticks to upgrade my old 2GB ram sticks with the same speed (KVR1333D3N9/2G). My mother board is MSI g41m-p28.
I installed the new ram sticks and plugged the pc then turn it on, but there were no display on the monitor and other peripherals didn't light up. I installed the old ram back and it boot up.
So I decided to put the new ram sticks one at a time but my pc still won't boot. I am too confused why my pc won't boot with the new ram if it supports 4GB ram, said on the motherboard's manual? Please help

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Did you make sure that the BIOS version for your motherboard was up to date prior to dropping in the sticks of ram? Last I recall, you'd need 1.65v rams or higher voltage sticks to work with the Core 2 era platforms. Anything at 1.65v or lower were after the Core I series of processor's came to be.

If it's not the voltage then it must be the density of the ram IC's on the sticks. I've had to look for 1.8v rams with IC's on both ends and looking through the memQVL for the motherboard.

Last edited:
May 21, 2023
Did you try the new sticks one at a time and try each DIMM slot?

Given that your board supports 4GB sticks and is working with the others it seems likely the issue is with the RAM. Even if there were board compatibility issues it should boot.
I just tried it today, I installed the ram one at a time on different slots but still it doesn't boot... ☹️

When I installed back the old 2GB RAM, it boots up

I just tried it today, I installed the ram one at a time on different slots but still it doesn't boot... ☹️

When I installed back the old 2GB RAM, it boots up
While it's possible that your motherboard isn't compatible it seems more likely the RAM you got isn't good. The only other thing I can think of would potentially be resetting your BIOS to defaults and seeing if that makes any difference.

May 21, 2023
While it's possible that your motherboard isn't compatible it seems more likely the RAM you got isn't good. The only other thing I can think of would potentially be resetting your BIOS to defaults and seeing if that makes any difference.
It still don't boot even after resetting it by removing the battery, CMOS jumper, and setting it to default in the BIOS.