Question Black screen after Windows 10 loading logo ?

AmonRatPC

Honorable
Jun 28, 2016
PC specs:
CPU: Xeon E5-1650 V2
Motherboard: Asus P9X79 PRO
GPU: ASUS GTX 1070 Ti
Storage: M.2 NVMe SSD
BIOS has been modded so it supports bifurication (splitting pcie lanes on a single x16 port)

So, for a while now I have been putting up with a pretty big issue on my PC. When I try to boot into windows, most of the time the pc just shows a black screen after the logo. It displays nothing. Sometimes, the driver doesn't load at all, or the windows default driver does and if that does happen usually if it's the first boot, the screen will just go black when it tries to load the driver. Then on the second boot it's the same but 60% of the time the driver then loads normally. Then everything works fine.

I used to experience this issue years ago, but it happened very rarely. I do need to add that I do have a pcie card that can hold 4 pcie ssds. I also needed to mod the bios, so i can run at least 2 ssds. X79 motherboards do support bifurication, it just isn't enabled in the bios. I tried reinstalling windows on a different drive and now i'm experiencing the exact same issues. I really hope the gpu isn't kaput... Also in the device managed it just says error 18, saying i need to reinstall the driver. I mean, it's a fresh install, with one version of the driver, so... I'm at a loss here. Anyone else had this issue? What could I try to fix the issue? The only thing that comes to mind is modifying the vbios of the gpu.

Another thing to add is that I did have some issues with the gpu. I remember playing valorant a few months ago and the graphics when completely haywire. Like as if the monitor got broken. That happened when i hovered over some buttons, i don't remember how it happened, all i know is that it happened in the settings menu. Now the only really odd thing is that the windows boot screen right before it goes to black, the windows logo splits into 5 or so imaged in the top all showing at the same time. Any advice would be appreciated.

Lutfij

Titan
Storage: M.2 NVMe SSD
The board doesn't have native support for M.2 SSD's, how are they on your platform? Links to said M.2 adapters?

BIOS has been modded so it supports bifurication (splitting pcie lanes on a single x16 port)
+
I used to experience this issue years ago, but it happened very rarely.
If your issue began with the use of the modded BIOS, then that might very well be the issue. Does the issue crop up when on the official BIOS from Asus?

You forgot to mention the make and model of your PSU. Please include the age of the unit as well.

AmonRatPC

Honorable
Jun 28, 2016
So, I forgot to mention another thing. I use avexir ddr3 2133mhz cl11 ram and 2400mhz cl10 2 sticks each for a total of 16gb of ram. A few months ago I bought another batch of avexir ddr3 ram at 1600mhz 4x4gb for my sisters pc which i then pulled out, since I sold the pc. this ram is kind of rare since avexir was one of the few who put led lights onto ddr3 ram. I know, it's a stupid reason to buy ram. Anways I put in this other ram running at 1600mhz and all the glitches dissapeared. I guess maybe the ram had a problem loading in the driver or something? I don't even know, but it fixed the issue. Before avexir I had 4 sticks of ddr3 ram from corsair that I've kept since I had an am3 cpu from years before. when I used the corsair ram, never had issues like these. I did think about that when it first started happening but just brushed it off. Anyways, it's fixed now. I was just worried that the gpu was failing, since I had a few annoyances with it.

AmonRatPC

Honorable
Jun 28, 2016
However now I have a different issue, that has plagued my pc earlier and made it pretty much unusable. Whenever I play a game for a few mins the PC Freezes for a second, image corrupts and then throws a black screen. If I leave it in that state for a few more minutes, the fans spin at a high speed. I'd guess it's a gpu thing?