Black Screen After Windows Loading Screen

ranger133x

Honorable
Jan 9, 2014
Hi!

Recently (within the past 2 weeks) my computer started doing some weird things

FIRST: I attempted to shut down my computer (multiple times); it said "shutting down", logged off, the screen went black for an instant...and then *bloop!* it popped right back to my desktop and acts like it was never shutting down...

After several attempts to shut down I finally just held down the power button.

The problems continued from there...after turning on and booting to the account menu, the computer proceeded to automatically log in (Its supposed to); however, after showing that it was logging in for a moment, the screen went black (still had the backlight). The screen stayed like that for several minutes. Finally, it loads the desktop and is ready to go.

It does this every time I turn it on now. Its really frustrating because my computer use to be up and running, ready to go in about a minute. Now it takes about 3-5 minutes.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I have a multitude of anti-virus scans, but I'm not turning up anything weird.

Thanks

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I would check for any recently installed applications. There are a couple of idiotic programs that will cause Windows to wait for a process to finish.

When you next see the black screen. Hit control alt delete and see if you can get to the task manager. If you see anything out of the ordinary there, that is the likely culprit.

Likely be visible in the start up menu as well. (Windows Key + R msconfig) You can remove items from startup here.

ranger133x

Honorable
Jan 9, 2014

So here is a list of my start-up programs that are enabled:
Sticky Notes
Google Installer(3)
Akamai NetSession Client(2)
Realtek HD Audio Manager(3)
Nvidia Capture Server Proxy <--------This one seems weird to me
Nvidia Backend
pximouse
Delayed launcher(2) <------this one sounds weird also, but its from Intel, so idk if I should disable it.
Dropbox

ranger133x

Honorable
Jan 9, 2014

WD Blue 1 TB : 3.5 Inch, 7200 RPM, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64 MB Cache

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador

Google Installer(3) -- odd, especially with three instances. Might have a plugin to Chrome that is causing this and it could be the hang up. Might be re-trying over and over.
Nvidia Capture Server Proxy -- Shadowplay maybe?
Akamai NetSession Client(2) -- Peer to Peer client and download manager?

Just start killing them when the screen is black. If the desktop appears as soon as a process is terminated, it is the one causing the issue.

ranger133x

Honorable
Jan 9, 2014
After messing with it a little, I think I have come to realize that while the screen is black my computer is no longer loading. It is already at the desktop ready to go. If I click the mouse it usually makes the black screen go away almost instantly. Is there some kind of diagnostics tool I could run to see if windows is having any problems?