black screen after windows logo

thomassjoberg

Reputable
May 28, 2015
Hi! I was playing a game and suddenly the screen crashed with linear lines, computer frozen.

I can see startup however after win 7 logo I now only get a black screen.

I can enter safe mode, but don't know what the issue can be

Please help! Regards

As said you may have a corrupted vga driver due to the crash.
So use safe mode and uninstall the video driver.
Then start windows in normal mode.
If it boots to desktop then it was the problem.

Install the driver for the card. if it cannot find the card, or it freezes, it can suggest you have a problem with the card it`s self.
In such a case if the card is new and less than a year old, Rma the card under it`s one year warranty policy.

If the card is a few years old, you should check it for dust build up between the cooling fan and the front end of the cooling solution fitted to the card.
A mat layer of dirt and fluff will cause your card to crash or freeze when it is put under a load from a game ect.
And the lack of air flow due to dust can take your Gpu chip on the card to a point where you suffer a driver crash or a freeze of the whole system.
The driver has a feature to suspend all activity and halt it`s self if the temps of the card get to high.
It`s to stop the Gpu/ graphics processor from going in do melt down and preventing damage.

You last symptom can be an old power supply unit that is beginning to fail in giving out the correct voltages or power supply demand your card needs when playing a game.
Check the first two options out, first. if you still have a problem then it can be the psu as said.
And the last one can be system memory about to fail so do a memory check of your ram in your computer see if it throws any errors up.

thomassjoberg

Reputable
May 28, 2015
Thanks for the replies.
I've tried to locate the drivers in control panel program & features, but cannot see any catalyst or driver of any sort.
I cannot install catalyst either because of the resolution in safe mode