[SOLVED] Black Screen and GPU fan max speed when using USB audio interface.

Jul 3, 2020
Also listed in GPU'S

Bought a custom build a few months ago that i mainly use for gaming. I also do some home music production. Plugged in my Presonus Audiobox USB 96 in this morning and woke up my computer to an immediate black screen and GPU fan hit max speed. Rebooted and after a few moments recording roughly 10 minutes after boot it black screened again with GPU fan speed. Unplugged the interface, rebooted, now everything is working fine. Gaming, streaming, temps are normal. its been running for a couple hours now while gaming with no issues. Could this be PSU issue? Any ideas are much appreciated.
System is
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 7700K @ 4.20GHz
Kaby Lake 14nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel Corsair @ 1500MHz (16-20-20-38)
Motherboard
MSI Z270 PC MATE (MS-7A72) (U3E1)
Graphics
DELL P2210 (1680x1050@60Hz)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (Gigabyte)

Solution
Also, what all is plugged into USB ports other than the Audiobox?

It is a High Power 700w HPG-700ST-F12S 80 Plus

AT the time of Shutdown my Corsair K68 keyboard and Razer Naga Chroma mouse.
[/QUOTE]

Uggh... Garbage PSU. I hate pre-builders that use cheap PSUs because the PSU is not a "marketing bullet point".

I'm leaning towards the PSU because the USB ports may be using the +5VSB rail for power and that rail may not be very strong.

Unfortunately, the PreSonus website and manual are useless and don't list any power requirement other than "It's works with USB! Weee!!!!!"

If the problem isn't the PSU, it's the power delivery capability of the motherboard itself.

One thing you can do to "band aid" the problem is use a USB...
Also listed in GPU'S

Bought a custom build a few months ago that i mainly use for gaming. I also do some home music production. Plugged in my Presonus Audiobox USB 96 in this morning and woke up my computer to an immediate black screen and GPU fan hit max speed. Rebooted and after a few moments recording roughly 10 minutes after boot it black screened again with GPU fan speed. Unplugged the interface, rebooted, now everything is working fine. Gaming, streaming, temps are normal. its been running for a couple hours now while gaming with no issues. Could this be PSU issue? Any ideas are much appreciated.
System is
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 7700K @ 4.20GHz
Kaby Lake 14nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel Corsair @ 1500MHz (16-20-20-38)
Motherboard
MSI Z270 PC MATE (MS-7A72) (U3E1)
Graphics
DELL P2210 (1680x1050@60Hz)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (Gigabyte)

Seems you've listed everything but the PSU.

Jul 3, 2020
[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Uggh... Garbage PSU. I hate pre-builders that use cheap PSUs because the PSU is not a "marketing bullet point".

I'm leaning towards the PSU because the USB ports may be using the +5VSB rail for power and that rail may not be very strong.

Unfortunately, the PreSonus website and manual are useless and don't list any power requirement other than "It's works with USB! Weee!!!!!"

If the problem isn't the PSU, it's the power delivery capability of the motherboard itself.

One thing you can do to "band aid" the problem is use a USB splitter to draw additional power from a second USB port. This is commonly done with things like USB optical drives, HDD's, etc.

Here's what the cable would look like: https://www.amazon.com/HIGHROCK-Enhancer-Female-Charge-Extension/dp/B00NIGO4NM/

Solution
Jul 3, 2020
That's much better news that it possibly needing a new GPU. Thanks for the info. I'll purchase a new PSU in the near future and swap it out. After pulling my case apart and finding that it is a cheap PSU id feel good swapping it regardless of it being the main problem or not, My case does not have the PSU very accessible so i really had no clue what it had, the builder just said 700w.