[SOLVED] Black screen and restart when playing games

Apr 16, 2022
Hello,

I have problem with my PC.
It is crashing to black screen and restart when playing games (Black Desert Onlime, Cyberpunk 2077 and others).
Sometimes it crash immediatly after launch, and sometimes it is ok for even hour. Usually crash within 15 minutes.

Specs:
CPU:AMD Ryzen 5 5600X1 year old
RAM:4 * 8 GB G.Skill 3200 MHz - F4-3200C16-GVKB2 sticks 6 years old, 2 sticks 3 years old
MB:MSI X570-A PRO (MS-7C37) - BIOS 03/16/2022 H.G21 year old
GPUNVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti1 month old
SSD1 M2 and 1 SATA
PSUXFX XTR 650W 80 Plus Gold7 years old
OSWindows 11 Professional

I was doin OCCT test on CPU, GPU and POWER, there was no problem.
Also memtest86 and windows Memory Test without problems.
But when playing game it is crashing.

CPU temps are ~75 on stress test.
GPU temps usually lower than 70.

Solution
Welcome to the forums! Although 3060s and 3060Tis have less power/current spikes than their other 3000 cousins, I'm guessing a 3060Ti with a 7 year old PSU, the PSU is probably not up to it anymore. PSUs lose some of their nominal capacity with each passing year.

Also you're mixing RAM. Bought 2x8GB once and added 2x8GB some times later? There's no guarantee they play nice together. Even if they have no errors.

If crashes and restarts did not start as soon as or a short time after you added RAM I'd say PSU is probably the culprit.

Testing if crash/restarts happen with a known good quality 650W PSU would be a way to test it. I wouldn't stress test the PSU too much either.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums! Although 3060s and 3060Tis have less power/current spikes than their other 3000 cousins, I'm guessing a 3060Ti with a 7 year old PSU, the PSU is probably not up to it anymore. PSUs lose some of their nominal capacity with each passing year.

Also you're mixing RAM. Bought 2x8GB once and added 2x8GB some times later? There's no guarantee they play nice together. Even if they have no errors.

If crashes and restarts did not start as soon as or a short time after you added RAM I'd say PSU is probably the culprit.

Testing if crash/restarts happen with a known good quality 650W PSU would be a way to test it. I wouldn't stress test the PSU too much either.

Solution
Apr 16, 2022

Btw RAM. Yes I bought them is two parts.
I forgot to write that I was shuffling today and testing memory.
2 x old, 2 x new, single old and single new, crashed same way.

Also one more thing, I checked with really old GPU Radeon and there was no crashes, but tbh it was so low end that almost no new game worked on it anyway.

I already asked on my facebook if someone could help me with PSU so I could borrow for check.