Aug 11, 2019
About a year ago I bought a new SSD and have been putting off reinstalling windows, well I finally got around to it and wanted to do a fresh start. I am using a USB with the Windows Creation Tool on it. When I completely finish the installation of windows where the setup asks to "Restart in 10 seconds" it keeps asking me to start completely over. I have tired taking out my USB before the restart and it sends me straight to my bios on restart. When trying to boot my SSD after I should have installed windows already it launches a black screen with a blinking white light in the top left corner of the screen. And it is also showing that my SSD has the windows files on it after the install but my ssd still will not launch the rest of the windows start up!! (Like the security questions that are supposed to open after the restart, all I have is a black screen with light in corner then it sends me back to bios bc there is nothing to boot from)PLEASE HELP!! I have been trying this for 2 days now and nothing I have seen has helped!! I'm desperate!! P.s. I have even tried to just download it back to my HDD and still got same thing with the HDD. If you need anymore information from me ask I will be consistently looking at this until my problem is solved!
Specs:
i7 7700k
Gtx 1080
Samsung 500gb ssd
Seagate 1tb hdd
850 w powersupply
24gb ddr4 ram

Last edited by a moderator:

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Thanks, but this is not the issue I am having. My main issue is that my ssd when booting is causing a black screen with a sort of white cursor in the corner of my screen and will not continue the windows installation.
Yes I understand that, however the first port of call would be for me to know that you've followed a completely correct process for creating the installation. Otherwise it sends us down a rabbit hole that's all.

Have you retried the installation process onto your HDD to see if it is the SSD at fault?
What make and model PSU is it?
What motherboard do you have?

Aug 12, 2019
Hello !
You did not tell us what Windows you use, I supose the Windows 10 (original ISO).
Do you see the circle and windows logo even for few seconds ?
If so, try reset PC few times until the automatic recovery kicks in then select command promt and the use the following command :

bcdedit /set {default} safeboot minimal

Then type exit and restart. The PC boots ?
If still in white cursor, it may be also the memory that is faulty, try with one memory only (if you have 2) or change memory just for tests.

Next, if this still don't power up the OS and finish installation, look in your bios for settings about Secure Boot and clear keys, put system in Setup Mode. Even look if you have override boot or boot order, put SSD on first position and disable all other, even USB (if need to boot from usb uefi use the boot menu or bios boot override).

If still hangs, it may be a faulty disk, I suggest clean it up before install :
  1. Boot with USB and when setup loads, press SHIFT + F10 to open the command prompt.
  2. type DISKPART
  3. type LIST DISK
4 . type SELECT DISK X (where X is the drive where you want to install windows, take care there, to not select other disks that are in system, otherwise, power off pc and disconnect unused drives to be sure, you can connect them back once windows runs).
  1. type CLEAN
  2. type EXIT
  3. type EXIT
  4. Continue installation and select newly cleaned disk (make partition if necessary) and then install the OS.

This procedure get rid of hidden / lost partitions of disk and prepare a clean partition for installation. Windows will create the necessary partitions with setup.

Hope it helps.

Aug 11, 2019
Yes I understand that, however the first port of call would be for me to know that you've followed a completely correct process for creating the installation. Otherwise it sends us down a rabbit hole that's all.

Have you retried the installation process onto your HDD to see if it is the SSD at fault?
What make and model PSU is it?
What motherboard do you have?
I have an Asus z270 mobo
A corsair psu but that shouldnt be an issue
And I have tried my HDD and it does the same thing that my SSD is doing.. I followed all the steps correctly I just am now getting a black screen with a blinking white underscore in the corner and it isn't allowing to boot my ssd

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2019
Hello !
You did not tell us what Windows you use, I supose the Windows 10 (original ISO).
Do you see the circle and windows logo even for few seconds ?
If so, try reset PC few times until the automatic recovery kicks in then select command promt and the use the following command :

bcdedit /set {default} safeboot minimal

Then type exit and restart. The PC boots ?
If still in white cursor, it may be also the memory that is faulty, try with one memory only (if you have 2) or change memory just for tests.

Next, if this still don't power up the OS and finish installation, look in your bios for settings about Secure Boot and clear keys, put system in Setup Mode. Even look if you have override boot or boot order, put SSD on first position and disable all other, even USB (if need to boot from usb uefi use the boot menu or bios boot override).

If still hangs, it may be a faulty disk, I suggest clean it up before install :
  1. Boot with USB and when setup loads, press SHIFT + F10 to open the command prompt.
  2. type DISKPART
  3. type LIST DISK
4 . type SELECT DISK X (where X is the drive where you want to install windows, take care there, to not select other disks that are in system, otherwise, power off pc and disconnect unused drives to be sure, you can connect them back once windows runs).
  1. type CLEAN
  2. type EXIT
  3. type EXIT
  4. Continue installation and select newly cleaned disk (make partition if necessary) and then install the OS.
This procedure get rid of hidden / lost partitions of disk and prepare a clean partition for installation. Windows will create the necessary partitions with setup.

Hope it helps.
Yes it is windows 10, I have already cleaned my ssd and downloaded the beginning of the start up of windows to my ssd which has occured successfully. The issue I am having now is that my ssd is not booting the rest of the windows set up instead it attempts to boot and only shows a black screen with a white blinking underscore in the corner and that is what I need to fix.

Aug 12, 2019
Hello,
In that case, try the memory change / remove tip or use another windows 10 usb key if you say that another HDD produce the same error. Sometime (most of the time) you only get out by trial & error. One problem may have 100 causes, all with same symptoms.

popatim

Titan
It sounds like you set the Flashdrive as the primary boot device in the bios. Set the HDD/SSD as the primary device and then use the boot override feature to boot the flashdrive and install windows.

The boot override is usually one of the F-keys and it is shown at the bottom of the screen at the same time as the option to enter the bios is.

Aug 11, 2019
It sounds like you set the Flashdrive as the primary boot device in the bios. Set the HDD/SSD as the primary device and then use the boot override feature to boot the flashdrive and install windows.

The boot override is usually one of the F-keys and it is shown at the bottom of the screen at the same time as the option to enter the bios is.
The SSD is my primary boot device, my mobo attempts to boot it but when it does it just gives me a black screen with a blinking white underscore in the top left corner

Aug 11, 2019
Hello,
In that case, try the memory change / remove tip or use another windows 10 usb key if you say that another HDD produce the same error. Sometime (most of the time) you only get out by trial & error. One problem may have 100 causes, all with same symptoms.
Thanks for trying to help, but I have already tried that and had the same result. :(

Aug 12, 2019
It seems that the Windows can't load the files (at boot). Do you boot in UEFI mode ?
Find yourself one original ISO Windows 10 Pro image and make the USB Bootable with Rufus. Make it UEFI only if your MB support UEFI boot. Try that.
CTRL-ALT-DELETE reboot the pc when cursor blinks ?
If still the same, do :
In BIOS
  1. Sata disk in AHCI mode
  2. Secure boot disabled
  3. Load CSM disabled
Then boot manually (F8 during Asus logo or hit F8 continuously during boot ) with boot menu and chose uefi entry in the boot menu with your newly Rufus made Windows install in uefi, clean disk, install windows. In the bios, all boot options disabled, only the ssd disk should be chosen.
Resolved ?

Last edited: