Black screen at login - windows 7

tech_guy_2011

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
I am having a really annoying problem with my computer. My specs are:
- Intel core 2 duo 3.0 GHz CPU
- 3 GB DDR2 RAM
- Gigabyte EP31-DS3L motherboard (no onboard graphics)
- Windows 7 Ultimate – 64 bit
- ATI Radeon HD 4650 graphics card - 1 GB (using HDMI port)
When I start the computer the POST and windows 7 “Starting Windows” screens come up as normal. However when that’s finished instead of displaying the welcome screen I get a black screen, no cursor, no buttons, no text and the keyboard can’t be used for anything.

If I boot into safe mode and then restart and boot normally it works as if there was no problem. If I shut the computer down and turn it back on – the black screen is back. I’ve noticed that when I start the computer the POST ‘beep’ takes longer to happen than usual. I’ve been searching the internet for a solution and anything I’ve tried so far hasn’t worked.
Here’s what I’ve tried:
- Uninstalling and reinstalling updated graphics drivers
- Swapping from HDMI to VGA
- Running start up repair
- Repaired MBR
- Repaired boot sector
- Used system restore to known working date
- Have all recent windows updates
- Virus scans (Trend micro, super-anti-spyware, TDSS killer)

Since this black screen problem I’m also having problems with adobe flash plugin crashing, showing a green picture before freezing the browser. I’ve also lost the ability to play MP4 files, the sound plays but the video doesn’t. I’ve also tried uninstalling and reinstalling adobe flash and codecs with no change. I’m not sure whether that’s related to the black screen problem, just thought I’d mention it.
If anyone has any suggestions, that would be very much appreciated.

I have had this problem of the black screen after I have installed service pack1, which makes me think that it may be a windows update that has caused your problem. You could use system restore to remove as many updates as possible and see if this cures the problem. I have cured the problem in the past by simply reinstalling the operating system with (SP1 integrated) life is to short to spend sorting out problems like this.

Ok you have eliminated software as being the cause of your problem. The next thing to try is to test your memory, most Windows 7 installation problems are memory related and would also account for your flash plug in crashing. I suggest that you download and run memtest86 and let it run for a few hours.

tech_guy_2011

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
I downloaded memtest86 and let it run for 9 hrs. It told me there were no errors. I turned the computer off for about half an hour while i did other things. When i turned it back on the black screen didn't come back. So i shut it down again and turned it back on and the black screen was back

tech_guy_2011

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
Sorry for the slow reply. I haven't had a chance to substitute the power supply yet however i came across something interesting this morning. When i turn on the pc, if i go into the bios settings and just go save and exit without changing any settings then it boots normally without the black screen. I'm wondering whether thats something to do with the motherboard?

saurabh1985tripathi

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011

I have same problem and i have a solution but this is not a permanent solution. solution is that after getting black screen press ctrl+alt+delete ie. open task manager kill the explorer process and go file then new and type explorer.exe in given box and pess enter. your system will start working normally. this problem generally happen with explorer 9. so also perform other task go to control panel then uninstall program you find on left side installed update , open it and uninstall the update of explore .
if you find any permanent solution then please inform me