Black screen at startup

GlitchyPSI

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014
Hello Tom's hardware...
I have a problem with an ASUS Vintage-AE1

The original owner had an inverter accident, and the Asus PC was connected when that happened, translated in an epic unfixable failure of the power supply.
then the orig. owner took it to a pc center. it came back, but with all cables unplugged and labeled with no power supply.
then the orig. owner said me that i could keep the PC with my IDE HDD if i somehow get it to work again. Took it and asked a friend about giving me an atx power supply. He had a spare one and gave it to me.
after hours guessing the right position of the cables, i finnally did it, i got the power button and disk use led to work. PC turns on...
but when i connect screen is totally black. only the fans are working. Help please...
-GlitchyPSI

Solution
Well, like I said, you could try fitting a graphics card in one of the PCI slots to see if it's just needs that. Mind you, it will have to be a low-end card because that model has no PCI-E slots, only two standard PCI ones. Low-end PCI card will be as cheap as chips so won't cost much to try it.

GlitchyPSI

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014

I'm afraid that it could be the motherboard, because it has internal vga port (no external video card with plugin)

Well, like I said, you could try fitting a graphics card in one of the PCI slots to see if it's just needs that. Mind you, it will have to be a low-end card because that model has no PCI-E slots, only two standard PCI ones. Low-end PCI card will be as cheap as chips so won't cost much to try it.

Solution