Black Screen, Audio Stutters, GPU Fan at 100% when gaming.

stormzCB

Prominent
Mar 29, 2017
Current system:
AMD FX 6300 (No OC)
Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo
Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2P
MSI GTX 780 (Underclocked by 20mhz core/50mhz memory, power limit reduced to 75%)
Xilence 800 or 850w PSU.

Recently i've had an issue in which my PC will black screen, audio will stutter slightly, GPU fan will spin up to 100% before the system forces itself to reboot after gaming for around five to ten minutes.

Originally I thought there could be an issue with my hard drive being corrupted since after a few times of this happening windows would get stuck in a start up repair boot loop, so I reinstalled windows on a fresh hard drive, so I ruled that out. Also reset the motherboard BIOS to the defaults, and reinstalled all drivers to the latest versions, so everything on that front is fine.

The next logical step was to double check all my temps, which i always keep a close eye on anyway, CPU temps have never peaked above 40c, even during prime95 and intel burn test.

GPU temps sit at around 25~27 while idling, and have maxed out at around 60c when heavily gaming. I assumed that maybe the power supply was failing so I checked this underclocking the GPU, however the issue still persists. The thing that confuses me the most is that if the PSU is failing, it still allowed me to run furmark at 4k for around ten minutes before forcing the system to reboot. I reapplied new thermal paste to both the GPU and CPU, made sure everything was seated correctly and everything was firmly connected, Unfortunately I don't have a spare power supply to test, i do have an old Radeon HD 6670 lying around that I am going to test tomorrow, but if it was a power supply issue i get the feeling that it wouldn't make a difference since it will draw significantly less power than a 780. anyway, any help from you guys would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: I can browse the web and whatever easily without restarting, but gaming will force it to reboot no matter what.

Solution
Gaming will load the CPU and GPU at the same time. Torture testing either one alone probably won't trigger the issue.

The PSU is easily the weakest link in the build. You should replace it with at least a Tier 3 unit. I suggest getting a Corsair RM850x.
Gaming will load the CPU and GPU at the same time. Torture testing either one alone probably won't trigger the issue.

The PSU is easily the weakest link in the build. You should replace it with at least a Tier 3 unit. I suggest getting a Corsair RM850x.

Solution

Serverchamp1300

Prominent
Jun 30, 2017

Help me too please!
Current System:
Intel i5 6600k (no OC)
Corsair 850i Platinum Series
ASUS Z170 Sabertooth S
EVGA GTX 780 FTW
16GB of DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200

I'm having what sounds like almost the exact same issue. I have no problem using my computer for normal browsing all day, but when playing games (Mainly Total War Warhammer right now) I have a sudden black screen, but audio stays on, and fans start running full on and I am forced to hold front power down until it stops. All drivers and bios are updated. Monitor temps and CPU in game never breaks 40c but GPU does run into mid 60's. Game specific issue though, it only ever happens on hitting end turn. Thought it was an overheating issue with graphics card so ordered a 1070 even with these miners ruining supply, got an ok cost, but that's neither here nor there. I would really love some help here, first build from scratch myself and I've spent so much time and money on this thing and thought I had some really solid parts.