[SOLVED] Black screen before BIOS screen, possibly after Windows Update

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Marc_55

Reputable
Mar 24, 2016
Hello,

Just started getting a black screen when I turn my PC on. I don't see anything (no motherboard logo, no bios, no windows etc.).
System makes noises and lights up as normal, no obvious problems with motherboard, GPU or PSU.

I've tried a few different things:
  • Switch the monitor - this wasn't the issue. New monitor has same issues and old monitor works on a different system
  • Remove CMOS battery - this didn't seem to have a visible effect
  • Remove GPU and use onboard graphics - machine did actually get into windows - hooray, I guess? At least this confirms that the HDD / MB are functional
  • Replugged in GPU - still no luck
I'm thinking that it's a software issue since I'm pretty sure there was a recent windows update before I started noticing this.

Anything I can check out in Safe Mode / in the BIOS using integrated graphics?

Thanks in advance

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: MSI Z170A GAMING PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400
Video Card: Nvidia GTX 980 (MSI)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Last edited:
Solution
Firstly here are my specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: MSI Z170A GAMING PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400
Video Card: Nvidia GTX 980 (MSI)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
CPU Cooler Model: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...Performance-Liquid-CPU-Cooler/p/CW-9060021-WW

The problem

I've been having an issue since last week where my PC boots up with a black screen. I unplugged the GPU and via integrated graphics I was able to make my way into the BIOS and disable boot...

Marc_55

Reputable
Mar 24, 2016
Shop said they plugged the card in and tested it with HDMI and DVI adaptor and both times the screen came on as if it was detecting signal but was just black.

I’m totally willing to accept that this card might be dead but it doesn’t explain why the same thing is happening to a different card that was working before I tried it in my build