Black Screen Boot Up After Restart

Oxicoi

Honorable
Feb 7, 2017
Every time I restart, it just has a black screen, but my computer is still turned on. It won't fully restart and it's causing issues with updates with Windows. I turned off fast startup and that didn't help. I'm confused. I have Windows 10, GTX 970 OC, A10 6800k OC'd to 4.5ghz, 6gb/s SATA 2TB HDD, 750W PSU, and I don't know my mobo, but I have an HP Pavilion 500-214.

Here is a dxdiag on pastebin of my computer: https://pastebin.com/LqnBsKqJ

Solution

Oxicoi

Honorable
Feb 7, 2017

Okay, everything works but restarting. When I hit restart, my computer says "Restarting". After restarting, a computer boots up. Well, my computer doesn't. It sits there with a black screen, my LED on my keyboard and mouse turn off, but my LED on my graphics card and everything else on my computer is on. My computer is still on, but it won't boot up into Windows. That's my problem with restarting. It's like I shut down the computer instead of restarting.

GearUp

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
That's power management issues so it's most likely your power supply. You could do a clean install but still end up replacing the PSU.
Edit: You could remove the graphics card to take some load off the PSU as a check.

GearUp

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010

Age is the best indicator of viability unless you actually test the unit under loads with a multi-meter. There are frequent articles about good brands and models on this site. You can search for power supply on this site to find them. Is the supply the one supplied by the manufacturer (OEM)? I used Enermax until recently but they were expensive and the company changed.
Features like sleep seem to be no better or worse on new motherboards so it is not getting easier to determine if the MOBO is the problem. Maybe OEM systems are better tuned, I don't know but sending a system back simply to replace the PSU is an inconvenience and a waste.
Your system is probably beyond warranty. Replacement of PSUs in OEM systems has gotten better from what I've heard with less proprietary connections and sizes.

GearUp

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
From the original post you indicated fast startup which I wouldn't recommend since the time changes from 2 seconds to zero, bypassing options. The updates issue could be due to Microsoft but is likely a hardware restart issue or messed up system that requires using a restore point or system reset.

Oxicoi

Honorable
Feb 7, 2017

I don't know, but I got this 750W PSU from Best Buy and every time I buy something from there, things don't go right. Even my computer is from there, but I upgraded some parts such as the CPU and GPU. And it can't be my GPU putting too much load because I tried taking it out before and didn't fix it. I think it might just be my mobo.

GearUp

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
No experience here for AMD (your AMD A75 FCH chipset?) so I can't suggest much. For older comparable boards it would be better to use N@wEgg. Have you tried to reduce your overclock? Again, no experience here, I try to keep my systems a long time and no gaming.
Should have asked whether you can you enter the BIOS?

Oxicoi

Honorable
Feb 7, 2017

I can, that's where I turned off fast startup.

EDIT: Have reduced overclock.

GearUp

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
That's what I figured. I'd probably search for motherboards matching your new CPU. I had the impression that could back your files at least and then you could try a clean install. I take the path of least resistance and that takes half a day for me. If it won't do that I think the motherboard is the problem. Also you could try to check the hard drive using scandisk but that would normally run automatically for startup issues. If you do change it might be a good time to add an SSD for the boot drive.

Oxicoi

Honorable
Feb 7, 2017

SSD's are too expensive for me and I use a lot of games that can be up to 1tb of storage and 1tb SSD's are like $300+. I'll try scandisk anyway though.

EDIT: Would this be a good enough mobo though?: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T7XTT6C/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1RG71SOW7FK03

GearUp

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010

If you have updated drivers in the past I'd confirm that the drivers are the same. I didn't see a chipset mention. Amazon is poor on details and Newegg has errors sometimes (often manufacturer provided).
Programs can be installed on the HDD but setup is a hassle. I've had some trouble getting indexing to work and I don't consider it a computer if it doesn't do indexing.
The price is good and a newer/more expensive board isn't necessarily better if you only need gaming. I'm disappointed with an H97 Intel board and don't expect to go back to cheap boards myself.
Checkdisk (chkdsk?) I believe runs automatically but either might give some information.

Solution