Question Black screen boots all the time

Oct 10, 2020
Hi everyone,

Sorry for reposting from Windows 10 forum but this remains unsolved and I think this sounds more like a hardware issue than windows issue.

I got this problem. My windows randomly (sometimes after 2min, sometimes after 4 hours) boots itself while playing CSGO. It doesn't prompt any errors or blue screens. Just goes straight to black screen and after a few seconds the normal boot starts. Haven't noticed this issue while doing anything else than gaming CSGO. But then again, I don't do much on my desktop pc than CSGO and youtube. Tried changing the GPU to another -> 3dmark didn't crash after an hour of stress testing.

Have been having this issue before for about a month or so. Yesterday I formatted and reinstalled Windows 10. Issue still persists. All drivers, software and BIOS are the latest ones and clean installed. I've made sure many times that every cable is attached properly and that there is no dust gatherings.

No OC, only enabled XMP profile for my memory in BIOS.

Some relevant software:
windows 10 edu x64
f-secure safe (on the background)
on the background running only neccessaries (driver softwares), f-secure and discord

Setup:
asrock x570 phantom gaming 4
ryzen 5 3600
msi radeon 5700 8gb
corsair mp510 m2 ssd 480gt
corsair vengeance LPX ddr4 3200mhz
corsais rm650x 80 plus gold
4x noctua case fans
1x noctua nh-u12s se-am4 for CPU
1x 27 inch screen, 1x gaming mouse, 1x gaming keyboard, 1x hyperx headset, 1x 2.0 speakers (if someone's wondering the power usage)

Done stress tests for:
Memory with windows tool - > OK
CPU with ryzen and cinebench -> OK
GPU with 3dmark -> sometimes black screen booting before getting to the end, after undervolting GPU by 50mV its OK
Another GPU with 3dmark -> OK

Have only been watching my CPU and GPU temps. They seem to be fine for a few hour session:
CPU around 70C, max load after many hours of gaming 75-80C
GPU around 75C, hot spot max 95C & other temps max around 80C. After undervolting temps are around 70C and 85C hot spot.

There is only 2 relevant observations in Event viewer. The first one being error eventid 6008 and the second critical error eventid 41.
Please see pastebin link for eventid pastas.

https://pastebin.com/S0iC2Aum

Thanks in advance! I hope someone has something in mind :)

wi5pa

Distinguished
May 20, 2012
The event Id 6008 and 41 are just saying your system has shut down with an unexplained reason and then wrote a log into the event viewer,
Have you tried running OCCT,
Before any tests check the voltage tab and make sure you are getting steady lines, thats your PSU at stable.
The run a 3D test and VRAM test,

Did you have an issues from these ?

Oct 10, 2020
The event Id 6008 and 41 are just saying your system has shut down with an unexplained reason and then wrote a log into the event viewer,
Have you tried running OCCT,
Before any tests check the voltage tab and make sure you are getting steady lines, thats your PSU at stable.
The run a 3D test and VRAM test,

Did you have an issues from these ?
Thanks for the reply! I'll try OCCT and paste results with HWMonitor screens here.

I have been also thinking could this be a driver issue -> mby rollback old drivers and test with them?

Oct 10, 2020
Thanks for the reply! I'll try OCCT and paste results with HWMonitor screens here.

I have been also thinking could this be a driver issue -> mby rollback old drivers and test with them?
Actually my I'm getting a black screen boot everytime I launch OCCT test in the first 10seconds.

Here's a link for the voltages tab, rest seemed stable to me:
https://ibb.co/hDpHcVF

update: now my screen just froze while doing I was browsing on chrome
update2: after undervolting my gpu for about 50mV I was able to run the OCCT test for about a minute or so. After that I received the blue "your PC has ran into a problem" screen. There's also 2 more new EventID items in EventViewer -> https://pastebin.com/JEzk0Z0m

Last edited:

wi5pa

Distinguished
May 20, 2012
If your Graphics card cant pass the 3D and VRAM tests, then your graphics card has issues,
Have you put an over clock on the Graphics card ?

Before blaming the card, i would say you should run a test with "memtest64"
This will pick up any memory errors as benchmarks dont see them.

Oct 10, 2020
If your Graphics card cant pass the 3D and VRAM tests, then your graphics card has issues,
Have you put an over clock on the Graphics card ?

Before blaming the card, i would say you should run a test with "memtest64"
This will pick up any memory errors as benchmarks dont see them.
I'm running all default on every component except I've enabled XMP profile in BIOS for memory and manually set the infinity fabric frequence to 1600mhz.

Test results doesnt make any sense to me, this is what I got for today
VRAM test in OCCT: ran for about 55min then black screen crashed
3D test in OCCT: ran for 1 hour, no crash
OCCT test in OCCT: ran for 1 hour, no crashing today (yesterday was crashing in first minutes)
Memtest64: ran it straight after OCCT and it crashed in first minute, after the boot I ran the test again for about 30min then crashed

Memtest64 didnt bring up any errors before the crashes

wi5pa

Distinguished
May 20, 2012
I think its your overclock (if any) and the undervolting GPU which you shouldnt be doing.
That might be affecting your system stability on its own.

Remove anything you have altered back to stock levels, and re-run the tests, 3D and VRAM.
You should have no problems with your Graphics card under these conditions.

As you have said in your first post, you tried another Graphics card with no issues, so it might be something internally in the GPU,
Try the test with both Graphics cards, Keep an eye on the temperatures.
See if you notice anything different.

Oct 10, 2020
I think its your overclock (if any) and the undervolting GPU which you shouldnt be doing.
That might be affecting your system stability on its own.

Remove anything you have altered back to stock levels, and re-run the tests, 3D and VRAM.
You should have no problems with your Graphics card under these conditions.

As you have said in your first post, you tried another Graphics card with no issues, so it might be something internally in the GPU,
Try the test with both Graphics cards, Keep an eye on the temperatures.
See if you notice anything different.
All the test today are done on everything default except for the infinity fabric. My GPU or CPU or anything was not overclocked or undervolted. So I shall try without the infinity fabric mode?

wi5pa

Distinguished
May 20, 2012
I think its your graphics card, you said in first post it failed 3Dmark, but the other GPU you tried passed.
Switch to the different Graphics card and see if you get any issues over a couple days.

Oct 10, 2020
I think its your graphics card, you said in first post it failed 3Dmark, but the other GPU you tried passed.
Switch to the different Graphics card and see if you get any issues over a couple days.
Actually I dont have another card available right now.
If it's the card, what would be the reason it passed 3D test on OCCT today? I mean like these test results doesnt make any sense, sometimes they pass sometimes they dont :D

Oct 10, 2020
One other thing , you said It was hotspotting on the 3D Mark test aswell above,
so it could be thermal throtting, then crashing as a safety
Other than that im at a loss, sorry.
I think this is related to motherboard or memory issue.

My CPU and Memtest64 are always crashing when I got XMP profile enabled in bios. After I disable that, they go smoothly. Tomorrow I'll go get a new pair of memory sticks and if this issue still persist, it has to be the motherboard.