[SOLVED] Black screen - but it's not the driver

Nov 27, 2020
Hi! I've got an issue that I can't seem to figure out. (shocking, I know)

Recently my screen has started blacking out randomly. It happens most frequently when I open a game or other full screen application, but can happen at random as well.
The machine is still running, it's just the monitor output that's dead. I'm no novice, so I've gone through the most usual causes.

First I just removed and reinstalled my GPU and MB drivers, to no avail.
I have now:

Formatted my OS drive and reinstalled Windows.
Unplugged and replugged all PSU cables and RAM.
Reinstalled all hardware drivers.
Flashed bios.
Turned off all fishy Windows power plan options.
Changed monitor cables.
Checked for overheating on all core hardware with external thermometer during crash.
Reset all clocks to stock.

I'm at a complete loss where to go next, other than start replacing one hardware component at a time. If anyone has any good suggestions I'm all ears.

My setup is:

MB: ASUS TUF Mark 1 Z270
CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K
GPU: Palit Jetstream GTX 1080 Ti
PSU: Corsair RM750
RAM: 4 x 8Gb HyperX Fury DDR4 3200 MHz
OS Drive: Kingston A2000 250 Gb NVMe M.2 SSD
Additional drives: 3 SSD's spanned for games, 2 WD Black 750 Gb in raid 1 for storage

EDIT:
  1. Sometimes (but mostly not) the GPU fans go nuts when the screen goes black, and I have to reboot multiple times before the screen comes back to life.
  2. I have now unplugged every drive except the M.2 OS drive. If I now try to open Maniaplanet.exe, located on the OS drive, the crash happens instantly. Don't know what to make of this.

Last edited:
Solution
SOLVED:

I read the windows Event Viewer and Maniaplanet crash logs and found that there was a Microsoft Generic Render Driver installed that caused the issue. Windows update was, as usual, the culprit. That's why it didn't help when I reinstalled my entire system.

I have now disabled automatic hardware driver updates from windows (Control panel\ printers and devices\ computer name\ Device installation settings\ NO) and removed all GPU drivers, reinstalled them with Geforce Experience\Custom installation\Clean install and everything seems to be back to normal.

Bottom line: screw windows update.
Nov 27, 2020
SOLVED:

I read the windows Event Viewer and Maniaplanet crash logs and found that there was a Microsoft Generic Render Driver installed that caused the issue. Windows update was, as usual, the culprit. That's why it didn't help when I reinstalled my entire system.

I have now disabled automatic hardware driver updates from windows (Control panel\ printers and devices\ computer name\ Device installation settings\ NO) and removed all GPU drivers, reinstalled them with Geforce Experience\Custom installation\Clean install and everything seems to be back to normal.

Bottom line: screw windows update.

Solution