Black screen. CPU temp issue? help!

bakerboards910

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
specs:

AMD Phenom II X4 925 Deneb 2.8GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor HDX925WFGIBOX
Not overclocking. runs at 2.8ghz

ASUS M4N72-E AM3/AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA nForce 750a SLI ATX AMD Motherboard
Bios version 2201 i believe

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400C4
(TIMES 2 Which equals 4 G Total) Timing set at 4-4-4-15 2.1V

Zalman heatsink- big circle one

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive

750W PSU Ultra brand

PROBLEM

At first I would be playing a game and the screen would go black and to stand by but I could still hear the sounds going on in the speakers until I shut down the computer manually.
During about 2 weeks the time started getting shorter and shorter that it would take till the screen did this.
Now It will get past the BIOS and sometimes to the windows load screen before log on and then turn off.

I have tried replacing PSU, bought a new one and same thing occured.
I tried replacing Graphics card and that did not solve it
I took out all but 1 stick of ram to see if somehow that was the issue. screen still shut off shortly after bios
I replaced the thermal compound on the CPU and still it would go to standby.

I dont know what to do or what the problem is. Asus said possibly overheating CPU because of some reason so i did replace the thermal compound like I said and still same problem.

Any Ideas???

Possible that my CPU has gone bad?
Also Asus help mentioned a possible ground issue with the MOBO.
Is it possible that the motherboard is bad ?

What would be best course of action from this point?
Thanks, george

bakerboards910

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
Ok. thanks for the info on overheating possibilities. I have come to rule that out now due to the following.

I am able to turn off and on my monitor and it will display the desktop for a short period then turn black again, no stand by message from the monitor either just goes black. I figured out that if i un-plug and plug back in the DVI cable from my graphics card while the computer is on and for some reason it will stay on with no problem.

Any other ideas on a fix?

should i update my BIOS to the current version and also because the one I have currently is a BETA?

Could it be something I am missing ?

What tests should I run and post to help someone figure out why this is happening?

Thanks, George

bakerboards910

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011

No i havnt tried another screen. If i turn the screen on and off it will show up for a few seconds then go black. Or press the source button so then it recognized DVI input but then right back to black.

I have the temps from bios system monitor or something like that shows the CPU at 31C and the motherboard at 28C.

I just remembered that sometimes, starting a while ago, a error message comes up when windows is starting up after logging in about C++ runtime library i think.

Possible that my hard drive or ram has gone bad? It is the oldest components i have everything else has been upgraded. the ram is still DDR2, i was thinking it might have something to do with that because it also said it is AM2+ when it is AM3 socket processor because the board can run AM2,AM2+, and AM3 but displaying it as AM2+.