Question Black Screen + crash e.g. when watching videos - even with new GPU (unable to boot with old GPU)

Jul 25, 2019
Hey,
i need some advice with black screen crashes of my computer mainly when i watch videos, but it happens other times aswell.

Firstly my specs:
600 Watt be quiet! Pure Power L8 Non-Modular 80+ Bronze
ASRock Z370 Pro4 Intel Z370 So.1151 Dual Channel DDR4 ATX Retail
Intel Core i5 8600K 6x 3.60GHz So.1151 WOF
16GB (2x 8192MB) G.Skill RipJaws V schwarz DDR4-3200 DIMM CL16-18-18-38 Dual Kit
250GB Samsung 850 Evo 2.5" (6.4cm) SATA 6Gb/s TLC Toggle (MZ-75E250B/EU) (last fresh Win10 installation ~1.5years before)

my old GPU:
3GB HIS Radeon R9 280X IceQ X2 Turbo Aktiv PCIe 3.0 x16 1xDVI/1xHDMI/2xminiDP (Retail)

my new GPU:
8GB PowerColor Radeon RX 590 Red Dragon Aktiv PCIe 3.0 (Retail)

What happend with the old GPU: freezes mostly while watching videos or BROWSING netflix. A few days ago a black screen freeze and afterwards i was unable to BOOT. When i tried to turn on my PC all fans worked and i heard no beeps but the screen kept black (even when connecting the screen to the integrated graphics). So i removed my gpu and used integrated graphics and everything worked again. Then i tryied another older gpu and i could boot again, so i puzzled that my GPU got wrecked and brought a new one. With it i can boot again and everything works fine for while.

Here is what happens now with the new GPU: All is fine for ~1hour then while watching a show: at first some visual artifacts for 0.5sec (like black screen with red and green sparkles/rectangles) then black screen with sound playing on for like 2sec and freeze. Then the computer stays on but i cant do nothing, so i have to press the power button for 3sec and he turns off. After restart: AMD WattMan says that it crashed and works now with the same settings (dont know if this is important). In Windows event history i see -Kernel power 41 (wtihout bugcheckcode) -Eventlog 6008&1101. Everything works fine again.
Temps of new GPU in FurMark are fine (<80°C) with 80% fan speed. I got the newest driver.

Could it be something else than the GPU?
  • PSU broken? (4.5y old) which destorys GPU over time?
    note: in HWinfo64 i see odd voltages e.g. 12.384V for the +12V is this normal?
  • Ram broken? (windows memory test without errors)
  • SSD broken? (crystaldiskinfo says everything is fine)
  • CPU broken? (just 1.5y old)
  • Software problems which destory GPU over time? (missing codecs or something?)
  • outdated drivers/bios? If so where can i find my current versions and where to download new ones?
Im thankfull for any advice,
Hannes

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2019
Is there any way to test the PSU?

would
be quiet! PURE POWER 11 | 500W PC-Netzteil
or
Thermaltake Smart RGB - 500W
be fine?
I tend to the be quiet! PURE POWER 11, cause maybe i could keep the cables in my case as they are (both be quiets are modular) or would u change those too anyways?