Question Black Screen Crash, have to toggle PSU rocker-switch off/on to restart ?

Cubsfanand

Honorable
Jan 3, 2015
I recently upgraded my motherboard, CPU, RAM combination. Everything works well except for hard crashes I am experiencing in two repeatable scenarios (while launching Chased by Darkness and while alt-tabbing out of Rocket League but only with framerate left uncapped). Here are the specs:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming II (BIOS ver. 4007)
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Gaming 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16
GPU: GeForce® GTX 1080 WINDFORCE OC 8G
PSU: EVGA Supernova NEX750B 80 plus bronze (750 W)

Initially I suspected a component was overheating, but I was able to rule this out as the crashes occur when temps are well in the 60 C range.
Then I thought maybe the power supply was failing, but I am able to simultaneously run Furmark GPU stress test and CPU burner with no crashes.
I ran the basic Windows Memory Diagnostic which returned no errors, though I sort of expected that as the RAM is brand new.
At this point I believe the problem stems (though I acknowledge my steps listed above haven't ruled other components out entirely) from the motherboard somehow, though I am having a hard time narrowing it down. Originally I had purchased an open-box ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming II from microcenter which presented the same crashes, but have since replaced it with a new motherboard (same model) and I am still experiencing the same crashes.

As I stated before, the crashes happen predictably and so I should be able to change variables and test to see the results. Unfortunately as the crash completely cuts power to the system the Windows event logs don't provide much information more than "the system was unexpectedly shut-down". Are there any programs I can try that will create a crash log even though the computer suddenly loses power? Or are there any other ways I can figure out what exactly is causing the crashing?

The only additional information I can provide about the crash is that all components power down (including cooling fans) except for the ROG LED logo on the motherboard and the power indicator LED. The reset button does not work, nor does holding the power button - only flipping the power supply switch on the back of the computer. Additionally, in the moments leading up to a crash something in the computer appears to emit a whine noise that intensifies up until the crash. I'll try to record it and append it. Thats all I got, any help would be greatly appreciated.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS