Question Black Screen Crash No Display PC stays on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragonxul

Prominent
Mar 9, 2019
It seems lots of people have had this issue come up lately.

My PC will crash to a black screen whilst gaming and it will force me to hard reset via power button. The computer will stay on.

AMD had released the new Radeon Adrenaline 2020 drivers and that seems to be what causes it, particularly with the RX 5000s series cards. The thing is, I still get it even though I don't have a RX 5000s series card. It started happening about a couple weeks ago and I have tried a lot of things particular to it and can't seem to find the issue. It's forcing people to trade in their cards for the NVIDIA RTX lineup because of the crashing and stability issues seen across the drivers. Some people can't upgrade their cards like me, and I am stuck not being able to play games for hours because of the crash.

I have tried numerous amounts of methods, all ending up in failure.

Use DDU to uninstall graphics driver and reinstall

Select "Standard" in driver software, turning off all Radeon graphics features

Manually switching off all Radeon features such as, "Enhanced Sync" and "Image Sharpening"

Going to device manager and manually installing just the display driver and not the software.

Installing the latest CPU Ryzen chipset drivers

Updating the BIOS , updating the drivers

Rolling back the drivers all the way from 17.0.0 to 20.4.1 (Newest)

Reseating all components of computer, CPU, Graphics card, RAM

Booting stock settings from the BIOS

Undervolting and underclocking GPU with adjusted fan curve

Replacing all power cords in PC, such as PCI-E power and motherboard 24-pin power

Booting with only one RAM stick in PC (Both slots)

Booting in windows safe mode

Reinstall of Windows completely

Reinstalling Steam, Uplay, any launchers

Stability test CPU with Cinebench R15, Prime95 and FurMark
. Stable

and much much more I forgot I did

My specs are:

Ryzen 5 1600 Overclocked to 4.0Ghz (1.35v)
XFX RX 580 8GB GTS Black Edition (1386mhz Core, 2000mhz Mem)'
ASrock B450 HDV R4.0 (BIOS ver. 3.70)
8x2 OLOy Warhawk RGB RAM 3200mhz (XMPd to 3200) (1.35v) (Hynix die)
Patriot Viper NVME M.2 256GB
Western Digital Blue 1TB 7200 RPM HDD
Rosewill HIVE 1000W PSU Fully-Modular
Windows 10 Home (Version 1903)
Currently running AMD Adrenaline Driver 20.4.1 Optional Version

Deepcool Matrexx 55

3 Phanteks 140mm fans pulling air from outside of case, one at top pulling air in
2 120mm fans pushing air out, one on back and one on top.

I like to play Rainbow Six Seige a lot. For some reason, I only black screen crash when I go to the MVP screen. Stability is completely fine.
Temperature is okay, as I max out 76C load when playing it.

Apr 20, 2020
I just registered when i see your %100 problem same as me... My computer is new (3-4 months) and im still trying to f...ckn fix this problem..

Ryzen 2700x
ASrock B450 HDV R4.0 (BIOS ver. 3.70)
2060 Super
600 W Aerocool +80
16 gb kingston ram 3200 mhz

What the f. is this.. about 1.5 months...

I can only play fifa 20 .. Websurf etc ..

When i play Rainbow Six Siege; its randomly (after 5 min - maybe 1 hour) gonna black screen; (i heard background discord voices.. they hear me too) need to hard reset. Power off-power on..

I sent my computer to repair.. They 5 times saying there is no problem on hardware... What the fck is this seriously no fix ?

i was playing csgo,got a black screen,pc stayed on.I turned it off and turned it on and no signal,btw i have r9 380 4gb from gigabyte.I took out the adapter and plugged vga to mobo.Im a still stuck with intel hd.I orded a new psu so if that doesnt fix it i dont know what to do.Also i have a adapter from dvi-i to vga since i have a vga only monitor.Good luck

i was playing csgo,got a black screen,pc stayed on.I turned it off and turned it on and no signal,btw i have r9 380 4gb from gigabyte.I took out the adapter and plugged vga to mobo.Im a still stuck with intel hd.I orded a new psu so if that doesnt fix it i dont know what to do.Also i have a adapter from dvi-i to vga since i have a vga only monitor.Good luck

The old psu appareantly has 500W with unknown efficiency.The new one has 700W with 85% bronze

stop saying PSU PSU ... everyone's psu failed same time ?! same problem ?
I dont know bro.I tried so many troubleshoting steps,and everything leads to the psu problem.I mean it could be the adapter maybe or the gpu itself,but my old psu was suspicious,and r9 380 is not energy efficient so it maybe pulled to much power from my "500W??" psu.Also when i was gaming my pc would shutdown and turn on emmediatelly and that happens when i dont limit the fps so again,maybe it pulled too much power.Have you found out the solution to you problem??

no man.. im having this issue about 1-1.5 month.. This is software problem it should be..
my issue happened about 10 days after the quarantine (mine started March 18th) and i was so happy.I mean i got a new gpu i can finally play games,and honestly i wasnt getting off the games for like 8 hours,i made a new csgo acc and i got 46 hours of playing in 10 days,and then the catastrofy happened.I was so happy and all of a sudden felling like i lost all hope for quarantine gaming.I hope that fixes soon cuz i want to play cod warzone so much.I think your problem is a driver issue,i have a link to a driver which is supposed to solve the black screening but its for amd gpus,and dont know anyone with a rtx gpu near me since i live in a place where that things are 700$ and more,not to mention that the best nvidia gpu is 1050ti where i live so good luck

Dragonxul

Prominent
Mar 9, 2019
no man.. im having this issue about 1-1.5 month.. This is software problem it should be..
I think it might be a windows problem. If NVIDIA AND AMD users are both getting it something might have happened with Windows. But, AMD drivers are what some people getting issues with, and have any of you upgraded FROM AMD during that timeframe of about 3 months or so?

Apr 21, 2020
I have almost the same issue, with a few exceptions. First of all, every single time the black screen occurs, my fans' speed seem to skyrocket without an overheating issue (I checked it with more than one monitoring softwares). Second, I noticed, that I was able to replicate the error in one of the games, where it occures (Apex legends, when opening an Apex Reward Box exactly). I tried to look it up on the internet as well, found the above mentioned methods, nothing seemed to work, but at one of my tries I have found another way to make the error happen again. When I tried out a stress testing tool, at the 3D testing part my computer didn't last more than 5 seconds, and the black screen was there again.
My pc is one year old, it was working completely fine also until middle of March, when Adrenaline came, and also a lot of windows 10 updates. I have a Radeon RX580, like most ppl with similar issues.

Reactions: Help6546

Dragonxul

Prominent
Mar 9, 2019
I have almost the same issue, with a few exceptions. First of all, every single time the black screen occurs, my fans' speed seem to skyrocket without an overheating issue (I checked it with more than one monitoring softwares). Second, I noticed, that I was able to replicate the error in one of the games, where it occures (Apex legends, when opening an Apex Reward Box exactly). I tried to look it up on the internet as well, found the above mentioned methods, nothing seemed to work, but at one of my tries I have found another way to make the error happen again. When I tried out a stress testing tool, at the 3D testing part my computer didn't last more than 5 seconds, and the black screen was there again.
My pc is one year old, it was working completely fine also until middle of March, when Adrenaline came, and also a lot of windows 10 updates. I have a Radeon RX580, like most ppl with similar issues.
People's PCs can also exhibit those problems as well. I don't driver crash when I benchmark, but it could be that I have only tested my GPU with FurMark as of right now. My PC doesn't visibly ramp up because my fans are set to a certain speed, but it's most likely the same problem.

Apr 21, 2020
People's PCs can also exhibit those problems as well. I don't driver crash when I benchmark, but it could be that I have only tested my GPU with FurMark as of right now. My PC doesn't visibly ramp up because my fans are set to a certain speed, but it's most likely the same problem.
I used OCCT5.5.6, everything runs perfectly, except for the 3D test, that's where it fails all the time

Dragonxul

Prominent
Mar 9, 2019
I think I may have found a proper fix! I recently found a comment on a youtube video that said if you downgrade your GPU BIOS or "reset" it to a similar but lower-end card it will stop the black screen issue.

You have to find a similar GPU BIOS to your card and flash it to that BIOS. This could mean that the driver could have theoretically programmed some bug into the BIOS, or it might be something with the clock speed and memory speed as the BIOS I flashed had about a 55 lower clock. You have to get the AMD GPU BIOS flashing tool and a proper similar BIOS to flash it. It's easy depending on the AMD flashing tool you download. I have been playing Seige, A.K.A the main game that crashes, and I have not experienced a single crash, but if I eventually do I will let you know.

May 27, 2020
Were you able to fix your issue?
I have a familiar problem and wonder if you could help
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/my-gpu-display-goes-black-fans-full-speed.3611369/

Jul 4, 2020
I think I may have found a proper fix! I recently found a comment on a youtube video that said if you downgrade your GPU BIOS or "reset" it to a similar but lower-end card it will stop the black screen issue.

You have to find a similar GPU BIOS to your card and flash it to that BIOS. This could mean that the driver could have theoretically programmed some bug into the BIOS, or it might be something with the clock speed and memory speed as the BIOS I flashed had about a 55 lower clock. You have to get the AMD GPU BIOS flashing tool and a proper similar BIOS to flash it. It's easy depending on the AMD flashing tool you download. I have been playing Seige, A.K.A the main game that crashes, and I have not experienced a single crash, but if I eventually do I will let you know.
Are you sure it works? Because I have the same problems as everyone here. I just built a PC with a new 8Gb rx580 and I have these black screen problems and well I wanted to know first of all if that's it. I also have a Corsair cx650M PSU and I don't think the PSU is the problem. I don't want to have to return it or something like that. Help !! and TY

Jul 4, 2020
yeah,i bought a new psu at the begining of May and it fixed my issues :)
the same for you !! Are you really sure it works? Because I have the same problems as everyone here. I just built a PC with a new 8Gb rx580 and I have these black screen problems and well I wanted to know first of all if that's it. I also have a Corsair cx650M PSU and I don't think the PSU is the problem. I don't want to have to return it or something like that. i do everything that mention I did everything the first comment mentions and nothing. Lower the voltage, install old versions of the drivers, use DDU and everything, and well I give up

the same for you !! Are you really sure it works? Because I have the same problems as everyone here. I just built a PC with a new 8Gb rx580 and I have these black screen problems and well I wanted to know first of all if that's it. I also have a Corsair cx650M PSU and I don't think the PSU is the problem. I don't want to have to return it or something like that. i do everything that mention I did everything the first comment mentions and nothing. Lower the voltage, install old versions of the drivers, use DDU and everything, and well I give up
Have you bought the GPU new or used?
And did your pc work with rx 580 then caused black screen,or it just didnt want to show signal when rx 580 is in your pc?

Jul 4, 2020
Have you bought the GPU new or used?
And did your pc work with rx 580 then caused black screen,or it just didnt want to show signal when rx 580 is in your pc?
Is New and the problem only appears after playing several hours for example The witcher 3, after 3h it throws black screen... sometimes I play LoL and it stays black and the game continues or the music. the same with the witcher 3, and then after that it restarts or I have to do it. And another thing what I forgot to tell you is that I can't see the GPU VBIOS I have, I don't know if that matters.

Last edited:

Dragonxul

Prominent
Mar 9, 2019
Are you sure it works? Because I have the same problems as everyone here. I just built a PC with a new 8Gb rx580 and I have these black screen problems and well I wanted to know first of all if that's it. I also have a Corsair cx650M PSU and I don't think the PSU is the problem. I don't want to have to return it or something like that. Help !! and TY
I have a Rosewill Hive 1000w. The XFX RX 580 is such a terrible card in itself, that it doesn’t hold good thermals, but that’s just mostly RX 580s in general. It worked for me, and the BIOS flash is still going strong even today. You can try it, but keep in mind that it you have to flash your BIOS to the same architecture. If you have a XFX card, I would flash it to a lower clocked chip. It might not even work then, because there are so many things that can cause a black screen

Jul 4, 2020
I have a Rosewill Hive 1000w. The XFX RX 580 is such a terrible card in itself, that it doesn’t hold good thermals, but that’s just mostly RX 580s in general. It worked for me, and the BIOS flash is still going strong even today. You can try it, but keep in mind that it you have to flash your BIOS to the same architecture. If you have a XFX card, I would flash it to a lower clocked chip. It might not even work then, because there are so many things that can cause a black screen
Ok I am going to try that, in fact I had it in mind, change the BIOS of the card to the most current version but as I was told that it is dangerous, I have not tried it yet. My model is a Gigabyte rx580 2000Mhz, anyway ...

matt_carley23

Commendable
Aug 21, 2018
stop saying PSU PSU ... everyone's psu failed same time ?! same problem ?

I'm sure that my psu is not the problem. I'm running an EVGA SuperNOVA 80+ PLATINUM 1000W Fully Modular PSU. Still having the same issue as everyone else. I can replicate the problem using MSI Kobuster but it only happens when I burn the cpu at the same time as running furmark. Also haven't had any sudden spikes or drops in power use .

Mar 2, 2021
Hello sir i have the same issue my card is gainward gtx 560 cpu is q8300 2.5ghz core2quad 4gb ddr2 ram my psu is 600w then i tried the 700w but it still occurs when im opening dota 2 the fan will suddenly loud then the monitor will say no display but the computer is running just no display, did you find a solutiob sir?

Status
Not open for further replies.