Black Screen Crash - System becomes unresponsive and terminates

iFestor

Prominent
May 1, 2017
Hi, this issue is a hell of a doozy and I don't know where to go from here so let's start with my build, the problem and what I have tried.

The Build:
Motherboard: MSI X79A-GD45 Plus
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB OC Windforce 3x Cooling GV-N7700C-4GD
CPU: Intel i7 4930K
RAM: DDR3 16gb 2400MHz Dual Band Viper 3 Black Gamer Speed PV316G240C1K (2x 8gb sticks)
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 750W
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250gb
HDD: Western Digital 3TB 7200RPM WDBH2D0030HNC-NRSN
Optical Drive: Asus 24x OEM DVDRW DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS

The problem:
My system will randomly stop sending a signal to my monitors (the "black screen"), but audio will continue for 5-15 seconds, and the computer will eventually restart itself.

Things I have tried:
memtestx86 (no problems after 9 passes)
ssd check
changing drivers for both the cpu and gpu
reformatting my harddrive & solid state drive for a clean windows re-install
replacing my old Corsair CX 750M with a Thermaltake Toughpower 750W

Here is the critical error from windows event log prior to (during?) shutdown:
Critical Event

Here is the error that occurred immediately before:
Error

And here are the events that occurred immediately after:
Error 1
Warning 1
Error 2
Error 3
Warning 2
Error 4
Warning 3
Error 5
Error 6

And then on reboot:
Warning

I couldn't get the dump file to open for some reason
6d2374e2d51c1a754e47c4b8cf070fec.png

(This was running in admin mode)
So here is the dump file
Dump - Although I suspect it is corrupted

DxDiag Output

I used Open Hardware Monitor to check temperatures - they were all well within safe ranges (below 60C)

If you need ANY OTHER INFORMATION please let me know. This issue has escalated to a point where I do not know what to do, and I lack the expertise to analyze these more advanced files.

Hello... for me to be of better help I would like to take a look at a few of your most recent event viewer screens to start off with. B /

1) do you have any red or yellow marks in your control panel-device manager?
2) kernel 41 errors mean the OS was not properly shut down... either by You OR the hardware.

Here is the Windows event debug screen... You NEED to be logged on as administrator to the OS...

Let's see what the OS is reporting as the errors...

1) Right click computer-manage-System Tools-Event Viewer-Windows Logs-System
2) Right click computer-manage-System Tools-Event Viewer-Windows Logs-Applications
3) Right click computer-manage-System Tools-Event Viewer-Windows Logs-Security

Post a digital or screen shot of these and I can determine what events we need to focus in on.

iFestor

Prominent
May 1, 2017

1) A yellow mark on Microsoft Visual Studio Location Simulator Sensor under "sensors"
2) I recieve this error regardless of whether or not I push the power button once the "black screen" begins

I'm not sure what you're talking about for the next steps, is it this?
ed5aee6660fd4e8ff725bc4d4170d07d.png

Hello... You are almost there B ) click on the Windows logs on the left to expand/access those areas for closer inspection.

I see you have events in the thousands... this is normal if you never Cleared the Logs in those areas...

Once in those areas could you Do a "Clear logs" action to the right of the screen... then reboot and do your normal activity on the computer until the next "Black screen" event happens... and we will be able to see what the OS has reported for that situation.

iFestor

Prominent
May 1, 2017

Windows Event Logs Security Text
Windows Event Logs Security XML

Windows Event Logs System Text
Windows Event Logs System XML

Windows Event Logs Applications Text
Windows Event Logs Applications XML

Hello... THX but you are giving these long text filled "mass" information service posts... My eyes are too OLD to read all these lines of DATA... if you clear your logs and wait for the next "black screen" event you will be able to create screen shots of the Event viewer App, security, system screens.

Then you can click on each of the "RED" events and get another Screen that will have General and Detail tabs for each of those errors... you can expand and resize that screen information... the information/general/details will be Very easy to see and read... "Right to the Point" so to say B D

I will post you a past example a OP provided for me to help them... she/he provided me with exact IMG's of the event viewer general window pane of each error... see how easy it is to read B D ... Your 2nd post was a beautiful example of what I want... you just didn't go farther into the Event Viewer "Window logs tree" to pull out this information... click on Windows logs to open it up to the APP, Security, and System window panes and information.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-3403031/constantly-crashing.html

iFestor

Prominent
May 1, 2017

dc33ddbbc9eec6f309f87a93f62f2b4b.png

902b947832c1893a9802ff48db471759.png

f4e83a04ab2e05441265e96097a92c56.png

65e9b9783e31c0e579f01eb5a8098e3f.png

569275f1bd345601e09c019115b43f3e.png

No errors in security or application
9385fa61804400e436137654f9f63d8d.png

4f6a46438705e37728a9519d86c35e14.png

Here is the minidump

Hello... Beautiful... well done... you've saved these OLD eyes from pre-mature failure... B D

see how easy and clear this is finding a cause/problem... you found it all on your own B )

Ok... img #2 shows the CldFlt service event 7000 did not start... and this is the "Cloud Files Mini Filter Driver." Ms One drive?

Here is a resent forum about other people with the same problem. https://www.tenforums.com/performance-maintenance/81037-small-issue-after-upgrading-creators-update.htm

img #3 is a yellow warning error.

img #4 is a Kernel 41... you can create this error if you are manually de-powering due to the OS freezing or the OS was not properly shutting down... are you manually de-powering due to the "Black screen" OS freezing? B /

img #5 is just another report/record of a "un-expected shut down" report from the previous log/use.

img #6 shows no APPs reporting errors... Good B )

So it seems you have a OS System error that needs to be fixed CldFlt service event 7000 did not start... and this is the "Cloud Files Mini Filter Driver." Ms One drive? Is this MS "Crapware" service that you use? or comes Pre-installed with the Win10 "package? OR the "creator' update created this from a prior service removal with a previous version? I'm not a WIN10 expert or user... so I have not had the "pleasure" too encounter/Fix this problem B D

Another option could be re-post something like this here... "fix for win10 "CldFlt" service event 7000 did not start"
and have a Moderator merge this post with it... OK B )

Colif

Win 11 Master
have you tried a SFC scan? or DISM?

search cortana for command prompt, right click the choice given and run as admin
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
SFC fixes system files, DISM cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

DISM may replace the missing onedrive files, or SFC may do that, it depends how they were removed.

iFestor

Prominent
May 1, 2017

Hi, I resolved the CldFlt Event 7000 error with the following fix,
Enter Regedit & navigate to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\CldFlt and set startup type to 3

However I believe my crashes may be related to the following
659528bb835eb0b729784048be9a2ee4.png

I have just tried the following changes in an attempt to resolve this error (which occurs on boot)
Uninstalling ALL USB drivers and rebooting
Updating gfx driver
Updating chipset driver
Updating network driver
Updating sound driver
Setting graphics card to favor maximum performance in nvidia control panel

After several restarts the driver still fails to load - and the computer still experiences the crash

Hi, SFC /Scannow returned with no problems, while DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /Restore health could not locate the repair source, I tried the following fix:

Dism /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
sfc /scannow
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
sfc /scannow

However, it continues to not find a repair source.

Hello... Ok good information... it's possible the 'creator" update OR ? caused other problems... Also click on the "detail tab" pictured, to get further Details too for us... You need to determine who "Own" or distributes, uses or updates that file and ask/find their solution.

Do a search in your Boot drive for the locations of the file or Files will help too determine who 'owns" it and details/date/etc about it. B /

Remove any Auto start APPs/shortcuts in your "startup folder" as another test. B /

iFestor

Prominent
May 1, 2017

Details
cd4386dfa80b1a5c9fa2947b83fb7693.png

c30a6b9c4e395c66b302eb4649d9e085.png

I don't know if it would be the creator update - I installed this new version of windows from the most recent iso file provided by microsoft.

Here are some threads with similar issues
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/618148/windows-10-hard-freeze-monitors-are-random-solid-colors/
http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/an-assortment-of-very-strange-bsods-crashes.225547/
https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/4u64re/help_me_play_detective_strange_problems_after_a/
https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/4u64re/help_me_play_detective_strange_problems_after_a/

I can't find the owner of the file - but I will keep looking

EDIT: Changing Windows Driver Foundation - User-mode Driver Framework to automatic did not solve the Kernel-PnP event 219 (The driver \Driver\WudfRd failed to load for the device ROOT\WPD\0000.)
EDIT 2: Swapping PCIe power saving mode off did not help either

Hello... by searching the "Owner" is doing the drive(s) search for the file... you will see a sub folder in the "Parent" directory/folder that it resides in... That is the "Owner"

When I search my WIN 7 C:\ I find 7 instances of it... there are or 3 different "versions" of it... It is *.SYS file that get installed during/with the OS. *.SYS files are typically Drivers between Hardware and Software.

My main/used? WUDFRd.sys is located in my Windows/system32/driver and is dated to 7/25/2012 and created 1/22/16 the date I installed the OS, the install size is 194KB's... so basically Windows owns it, installed it and no other APP has changed it since.

My other instances are held in a "winsxs/AMDxxxx directory... I use intel, this could be a AMD user "Pre-compiling" driver/information/storage area... as those versions did not update the "created date"

During the "install" and searching your systems hardware... the visual moments/feedback on your screen. The "install program" will pick and choose appropriate drivers/files/profile for your hardware... it takes that information and then "Compiles" it to "machine language" and Creates the "Kernel" of any programing/machine language used. These are for all the "mapping" of communications and I/O for the Processor/chips/hardware to be used by the "kernel" and software.

I don't know what hardware that *.sys file is tied to at this time... BUT it got installed/compiled? during the OS install by what I see so far B / ...The PNP error "Plug and Play?" is related to Slots and plugin ports, I/O of your MB/hardware communication with the Windows "kernel".

*As a "simple test" remove all your extra hardware, ext GPU (use on-board graphics), case connections you can... for another "clean install" and see if the error returns B / "Black screen" Output with error could mean the GPU slot or Card it's self is at fault B /

**Check to see if your MB or other hardware needs "New" Microsoft verification/update? and if you have one/some? Try another "Clean install" of the OS afterword's. B /

By the way... great Job on finding a solution for the "Service" error and editing your ""Registry" too fix it... Well done B D

iFestor

Prominent
May 1, 2017

a8d9cfce92729461771b8a793a09dcb3.png

This is all I could find - so it looks like it is owned by microsoft & was last modified / created / accessed on my fresh install. As far as I can tell all of my hardware is up to date.

I can't actually remove my gpu - my motherboard sadly does not support onboard graphics. I just disabled Intel VM-ware technology so I will be testing for a while. If it crashes again, I will first run the windows repair tool again to see if it finds anything, and if not I will remove any connection I can & do a clean install.

IMPORTANT EDIT:

The error being thrown is an issue with microsoft visual studio 2015 simulated gps sensor (I was able to fix it by disabling the device in hardware manager) and most likely unrelated to my crashing issues - I am hoping that by disabling vmware my pc will become stable again.
530cf625a403412b753f97f08508c785.png

Hello... awww ya didn't get the FREE GPU in your CPU for trouble shooting... B o... B D

and GJ for another good error detection, reaction and steps... B D

*Ok can you get a 'cheap/easy" GPU to do another "Simple test" B /

** do you have another slot on the MB too test?...

***try cleaning your GPU card gold contacts with rubbing alcohol and cotton swab and re-seating it.

**** get a magnifying glass and light... take a closer look at your MB GPU slot for anything out of the ordinary.

***** check your GPU power connections... it's easy to have a pin push out of the back of some connectors... Typically white Molex types.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Dism source error

if you are on 1703, you can try the solution:
Download a copy of the win 10 iso from Here - create ISO by telling it you want to make DVD - and then mount that ISO in file explorer (see Here) and then copy paste the below command into command prompt (admin)

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:X:\Sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess
Where "X" is the drive letter where the ISO is located. Simply change the "X" to the correct drive letter

You cannot do this if you not on 1703 as the ISO has to match the version you are on, and the ISO on MS site is for latest version.

iFestor

Prominent
May 1, 2017

So I have re-seated my card in the third PCIe slot on my board, cleaned the pins, and looked at mobo under magnifying glass to no avail (nothing seemed to be wrong with board, other than some dust that wont come off the gfx card)

However, I let the crash run for a little while longer than usual and there is a new error that appears. From what I have read it seems to be a common issue with nvidia and windows 10 but I cannot find a fix for it.
ce2c4ba872268f97df364372233a610a.png

This error repeated multiple times until I forcibly restarted the system.

EDIT: After another crash, this error did not appear at all.

iFestor

Prominent
May 1, 2017

Neither program found any errors, however I solved the win32k warning by disabling Visual Studio 2015 gps simulator.

Hello... Good info... well... GPU and OS drivers errors can be fixed by...

1) asking to have Microsoft too find a "suggested" driver from them... you can check your "suggested hardware" file list in the Control panel- "Windows Update" app.
2) asking to have Microsoft too find a better/suggested driver from them... in your Device manger-Display adaptors-GTX 770
right click and left clicks on the "GPU" will open different options and information Boxes.
3) Manually installing a older driver version from the NVidia driver lists.

I use a 5/19/2014 9.18.13.3788 version for Win7 and Gtx760... because it is rock solid with my system... sometimes updating and latest Drivers are not needed... "if it's not broken... don't try to fix it" applies here for GPU's and other devices.

In the long long ago... Past devices sharing the Interrupt "16" (ICQ) was always a problem... check your GPU "resource" Tab for 'conflicts" or further information. Since you have a special 'work station" MB, Check your Status or "conflicts" with other devices too... in particular your Interrupts (ICQ) and resources for them.

Basically all you need to do is "Custom" install of Nvidia drivers... all you need is the "GPU driver" and "HD audio driver" for a typical OS... all the other stuff is "Fluff"... "physic X" "GeForce experience" "Net framework (needed for GeForce exp online app)"

1) After a the Drivers install set the control panel Nvidia APP for "Performance" and that is typically is all that is needed there.
2) and change your control panel-power options to a 'custom" or "high performance" power setting for your hardware devices, GPU, PCIe. CPu, etc. remove any 'power savings" modes.

2b) The GTX 770 will need a lot of power and typically you want 0% min and 100% max for all the items related to the GPU, PCIe in this area and thus creating a "Custom profile" is a standard procedure needed after each "OS install".

* as a simple test disable your Nvidia High definition audio in the device manager sound, video, and game controllers. you only need this device if your using the audio output from the HDMI cable to your TV or monitor.

**Another important "general" update/install TIP is to ALWAYS 're-boot" your OS when ever you make a change to the OS B )

*** after a NVidia driver install you can delete the C:\Nvidia folder created... this is just a 'temporary" storage area for the driver install app... and is not needed afterwards and could/might cause future driver update/install file usage. B /

iFestor

Prominent
May 1, 2017

I tried all of the above and my computer still crashes.
The win32k event 263 has returned
and I am now getting a new warning event ntfs id 130 (The file system structure on volume C: has now been repaired.) before the system crashes.

iFestor

Prominent
May 1, 2017

1-2 days before my original post. I had updated drivers & switched intel VM-ware on in BIOS, however since then I have rolled drivers back and disabled vm-ware but still experience crashes, which is what confuses me.

EDIT: I found a lot of threads like this on nvidia forum - so I am going to try the suggestions in that thread (use ddu to remove drivers and install a functioning driver)

EDIT 2: Crashes persist

Hello... *Well as a "simple test" remove your MB battery and do a Cmos clear ~2, remove clear, re-install battery and re-boot... your CMOS/Bio's will re-read your installed hardware and be back to the BIO's versions defaults settings too.

Since you know what you did that caused this... try a RE-post "intel VMware causing errors...etc...etc..etc..." Tag it with your OS version hardware etc etc... and have a moderator attach this post to it B /

and see what hits you get here with others?