Question Black screen crash when gaming; GPU or PSU?

Jamlev

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2012
This problem has just started on a roughly two-year-old Ryzen 5 PC. It works fine when doing normal work and will stay on all day.

When under heavy load (gaming) the screen will go into power-saving mode after five minutes or so and the PC will black screen then reboot after a few seconds.

The graphics card is an RX570 and I suspect it is that but want to eliminate the PSU (Coolermaster Bronze 550w) before I order a new one.

To eliminate the software, I tested it on another SSD running the Furmark stress test (on both) - it still crashes but only once the test is exited.

I also tried an Nvidia GTX 1050 in there which didn't crash on the Furmark test (though it doesn't have the separate power connector so it could still be PSU).

Anything else I can try to determine what it is (I don't have a spare PSU)?

Lutfij

Titan
Coolermaster is the brand of the PSU, while 550W is the wattage and bronze is the 80 plus rating, that does not state what the model of the PSU is. Also, you might want to list the specs to your entire system so we can understand you have the right PSU for the job. On another note, how old is the PSU? The RX570 is a higher TDP card when compared to the GTX1050Ti so you're not really comparing the same GPU's together.

Jamlev

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2012
Thanks for the reply, my bad on the PSU, it is a Coolermaster GX 650W Bronze - and yes, it is a few years old - at least 5 (the one that came with it fried so I used this one from another PC which has been running fine for six months or so).

I've done the PSU calculator tests and it shows that 400W would suffice.

I'm aware that the two graphics cards are in different leagues, hence the question on how to test the RX570.

The rest of the spec is as follows

Ryzen 5 2600
ASUS TUF Gaming B450 Plus
PowerColor Red Devil RX 570 4GB
16GB HyperX Kingston RAM
WD 480 SSD

I don't want to buy a new graphics card and it is the PSU - and vice versa!

Last edited: