[SOLVED] Black screen crash when launching games! Audio still plays and PC is still running though.

tuzain221

Reputable
Jul 29, 2018
I have had a PC for a while and i have not ever had this problem before. I crash when loading up games which use a lot of my gpu.

I have used new thermal paste on BOTH cpu and also gpu but no fix. I have also used MSI afterburner to fix this as my fan doesn't spin (only on startup) when playing these high quality games; so i use MSI afterburner to fix this by putting the fan setting on and applying.

Solution
I crash when loading up games which use a lot of my gpu.

When loading it uses most everything. CPU and drive for sure. I'm not sure if RAM use goes up, I wouldn't say the GPU goes up at all. At least at the start. If you crash when loading something I'd look at the CPU and drives before the GPU.

I have used new thermal paste on BOTH cpu and also gpu but no fix. I have also used MSI afterburner to fix this as my fan doesn't spin (only on startup) when playing these high quality games; so i use MSI afterburner to fix this by putting the fan setting on and applying.

I don't mean to be rude, but not everyone can apply paste. And have it work great. There are many people who come on this forum with thermal issues and...

tuzain221

Reputable
Jul 29, 2018
GPU: GTX 1060 3GB
CPU: INTEL I5 4460k
PSU:
CiT Builder 500W PSU
My GPU temp in game is moderate, nothing extreme or too low like 50 - 60 at most.

I do not record my CPU temp (sorry)

tuzain221

Reputable
Jul 29, 2018
didn't find any good review on that psu.
get another better psu for test?
I bought and fitted it quite recently, only a few months ago. I have also re-applied thermal paste on GPU and CPU. I have cleaned CPU fan and also have changed RAM slots. I've also resetted PC but problem still consists.

4745454b

Titan
I crash when loading up games which use a lot of my gpu.

When loading it uses most everything. CPU and drive for sure. I'm not sure if RAM use goes up, I wouldn't say the GPU goes up at all. At least at the start. If you crash when loading something I'd look at the CPU and drives before the GPU.

I don't mean to be rude, but not everyone can apply paste. And have it work great. There are many people who come on this forum with thermal issues and putting the GPU sink back on can be tricky. Many also use thermal pads for the RAM and/or VRMs. Did yours use pads? Did you replace them if they did? You can't reuse pads. You also said you used new paste, but you didn't say what the temps were. Are the temps good? Finally, if the fan is dying on the GPU I'm not sure why you are convinced its your PSU.

My GPU temp in game is moderate, nothing extreme or too low like 50 - 60 at most.

I do not record my CPU temp (sorry)

If that's 60C than good. I do still wonder about any parts on the GPU that might be hotter with no/bad cooling. And you need to figure out your CPU temp. If that's 100C, that's no good.

if you think is gpu related. test with another gpu...what's a good psu to get?

Huh? If you suspect a GPU issue why are you looking at the PSU? As I said in your now deleted thread, that CiT isn't good, but it shouldn't be junk either. So unless you bought a DOA/failing PSU, it should handle the low load of your system. A 65W CPU and a 120W GPU is ~200W while gaming. That PSU should handle that fine. The CiT builder is not the same PSU as Calvin linked above. (Nor does that link lead to a review...) The builder is a basic PSU, and should have no issues powering a 200W machine. The trick is to figure out why it's.. What is it doing again? Exactly? "Crash"? To the desktop? Lock up so bad you have to pull the power?

Solution