[SOLVED] Black screen crashes on games (RX 5700 XT)

Jan 20, 2021
Since I have got the AMD RX 5700 XT I have been experiencing black screen issues on a few games, been trying to play starcraft 2 recently and I get black screen almost everytime a cinematic is shown, even on low quality setting, but gameplay is fine. When I get black screen the whole system just freezes, no sound, even my rainbow keyboard motion freezes, and I have to reboot the system. I took a log using afterburner and noticed a small spike in gpu usage, core clock and power usage immediately before the black screen, gpu temp hardly rose above 45.
I've trued ddu and clean install of graphics drivers to no avail.
If anyone might know if there was any way to fix this I would really grateful.

i5 2500k cpu
RX 5700 XT gpu
24GB ddr3 ram
corsair gs800 (800 watt) psu
asus p8z68 -v lx motherboard

Solution
the black screen issues is a common issue on RX5700. and when the card was released it also known to have issues to work on several game that use DX9 API.
you are running a 2500k CPU, I'm guessing that PSU is quite a few years old and it may be time for a new one. before buying and swapping parts I usually do a few things.

also, your RAM setup is abnormal try running with 16gb

run DDU and reinstall GPU drivers.
if that doesn't help I'll do a clean win 10 install.
make sure all updates and drivers are current.

then I start swapping parts to try and isolate the issue

Jan 20, 2021
Yes most of the system is old compared to the gpu, systems no doubt bottlenecked by the cpu. Probably will change the psu before splashing on a new mobo and cpu. When the sytem works it works great, can run most games at 2k with good framerates.

I just found that when I run starcraft 2 in windowed mode instead of fullscreen I don't get black screens anymore. Not really sure what I should make of that.