Black Screen Crashes

the_4rchitect

Prominent
Jan 21, 2018
Hello All,

First id like to say that I've been comming here and directing people here for years. Always so many useful solutions and a great community. That being said I've finally come across a problem I am unable to fix.

As is per protocol here are my specs:

CPU: Intel I7-7700K
GPU: ASUS|STRIX 1080Ti *Overclocked*
MOBO: Hero Maximus IX
PSU: EVGA 750 BRONZER
RAM: 64G Ballistics
Partitions: 2x 2TB Kingston Drives, 1x 350G Kingston Drive, 1x 120G SSD
*2 RnW CD Drives*

So my problem:

Im experiencing a black screen crash whenever i go to play TW: Atilla modded, the base game plays fine, and up until i attempted to run Atilla with the Mod Rome 2 worked fine aside from some crashes when changing setting but that was fixed updating my drivers. the issue now is that both Atilla *Modded* and Rome 2 base game crash my computer once they make it to the main menu. Not a blue screen crash but the same crash you would experience from the graphics card drawing more power than the PSU can provide "Black Screen Crash". I have tried everything and thought I narrowed it down to just the PSU not being able to handle the load but... I play VR, many games in VR perfectly, I can play Fallout 4 with the high resolution mod and the GPU dose not bat an eye. I can play all the other Total Wars. What im getting at here is I put a far greater load on this GPU than what I have been, In my mind i cannot figure out what is wrong. I've even backed up my entire computer and upgraded to Windows 10 because the CPU is a newer generation and has features specifically for upgraded windows, but still no resolve so I went back because I prefer my 7, vista if I could. I've moved the graphics card to various PCI connections and even used the auxiliary power connectors for my graphics card that was provided with the PSU. I've run countless diagnostics on the GPU itself and it has never gotten hotter then 60_C and has never gone over 106% GPU Speed and the VRam has never really peaked beyond 40-60%. However, just before every crash there is a low key whinning coming from the graphics card itself, it starts the moment SEGA shows up on screen and intensifies as the main trailer for the game fluctuates in cinematic like smoke and battle and such, as soon as you come to the main menu it gets a tad louder, longest i've spent at the main menu is about 5 seconds and then it crashes. the sound is not audible through my mic on my headset and is almost indistinguishable but it sort of sounds like a belt whine that a car would make only far far quieter. I hope someone has a solution to this problem, either way i will be buying a new PSU on Friday as the PSU is from my old build and about 5 years old now, i just dont like to spend money if I dont have to.

Thank you in advance
-Kyle

the_4rchitect

Prominent
Jan 21, 2018

Thank you for your reply Vic, as stated previously Im having a hard time believing that it is a PSU problem but by god it better be as that GPU is only 3 months old, I will keep everyone informed on any progress I make, thank you again for responding :)