Question Black Screen Crashing - AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB

Apr 17, 2020
Hey Everyone,

Looking for some advice before I entirely scrap this computer. I frequently get a crash to a black screen where I can hear a stutter of the sound. Here are the symptoms and the troubleshooting steps.

Computer Specs:
AMD Radeon HD 7970 3Gbit
ASRock Z77 Pro3 Motherboard
Intel Quad Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz
Rosewill Capstone 650W 80+Gold
Samsung 8GB DDR3
Windows 10 64bit

Symptoms:
Crash to black screen when playing games like Dota or Valorant (anecdotally seems to happen more when entering settings menu on Valorant than actually playing the game but happens in both situations)
Have to do a hard restart by holding down power button
Has been happening for several years but only happens when playing a graphics heavy game

Troubleshooting thus far:
Updated drivers on graphics to newest version, attempted uninstall of graphics driver using AMD cleanup utility, tried Windows Update only on drivers as well as drivers from AMD's website
Tried using different slot on motherboard for graphics driver and tried swapping between DVI and HDMI port on graphics card
Tried new power supply
Measured temps using HWInfo - GPU looked fine to me, CPU was spiking temps of 90C so bought CoolerMaster 212 Black and CPU temps now seem to be healthy around 40C
Tried removing graphics card entirely and use motherboard graphics - different crash where screen freezes and sound seems to repeat/stutter and need hard restart
Tried updating Bios Firmware, tried restoring default BIOS settings
Ran memtest with no issues
Ran disk check with no issues
Checked for missing or corrupt Windows service files with no issues

Any ideas? I am about to scrap this computer but feels so defeatist. I have a friend who is sending a GPU for me to test with but hasn't arrived yet.

Reactions: Sitrix