[SOLVED] Black screen desktop after logon of non domain admin user.

Nov 5, 2019
Hi,
This is my first post here so hello to everyone :)

This post might be long so apologies.

I have built a new ref Win 10 Pro 64bit build on HyperV & did the following:

- Started VM in audit mode & made my mods.

- Unprovisioned & removed most apps except Store & a few others.

- Ran sysprep with a custom unattend.xml file.

- Rebooted & logged in as local admin & all was fine.

- Joined domain & rebooted & again logged in as local admin & all was fine.

- Logged out & back in a domain user with admin rights & all was fine.

- Logged out & back as domain user with no admin rights & notice the setup text screens don't finish. The one that says 'Hi' & 'We're setting everything up for you' etc just stops after te second screen & I'm left with a black screen with a cursor.

- I presume I'm at the desktop as I can start taskmgr & kill & restart explorer.exe but no joy.

- Logged out & back in as another non domain admin user & the same problem.

- Logged out & back in as original domain admin user & all is fine again.

I have looked around the internet for a day or so to find a solution & while a lot of the stuff I've read covers fixing a black screen in Win 10, I haven't found anything that specifically covers this behaviour.

If anyone could shed any light at all on this I would be most grateful.

Thank you,
Fred.

Solution
Hi viveknayyar007,
Thanks for the input.

There's a new development.

If I log in as an ordinary domain user (non admin) the set up screen starts & then it goes black like I said. But if I wait about thirty seconds the set up screen text re-appears & finishes & I'm on the desktop.

I thought that was the issue fixed but now two issues:

- The search doesn't work. I just get a black space in the start menu when typing.

- If i open 'settings' & click on any of the icons the options are blank. I can't click back as it doesn't work either. I have to close 'settings' & re-open it & again if I click a different icon all the options in the maim pane are blank.

So it's not fixed.

I tried this:

- I made the domain user a member of...
Hello

Apparently the domain user profile is creating the trouble. Can you please check the OU and its group policies where the original domain user resides have any profile policy restrictions?

You may also want to see if the domain users have been granted sufficient permissions to the system drive.

You can also try adding the the domain user you're trying to sign in with to the local Administrators or Power Users group(s) and see if it helps creating a profile for you.

Feel free to report back if any further assistance is needed.

Cheers!!

Nov 5, 2019
Hello

Apparently the domain user profile is creating the trouble. Can you please check the OU and its group policies where the original domain user resides have any profile policy restrictions?

You may also want to see if the domain users have been granted sufficient permissions to the system drive.

You can also try adding the the domain user you're trying to sign in with to the local Administrators or Power Users group(s) and see if it helps creating a profile for you.

Feel free to report back if any further assistance is needed.

Cheers!!

Hi viveknayyar007,
Thanks for the input.

If I log in as an ordinary domain user (non admin) the set up screen starts & then it goes black like I said. But if I wait about thirty seconds the set up screen text re-appears & finishes & I'm on the desktop.

- The search doesn't work. I just get a black space in the start menu when typing.

- If i open 'settings' & click on any of the icons the options are blank. I can't click back as it doesn't work either. I have to close 'settings' & re-open it & again if I click a different icon all the options in the maim pane are blank.

So it's not fixed.

I tried this:

- I made the domain user a member of the local admin group & logged in & everything worked perfectly.

- I removed the domain user from the local admin group & logged in again & things continued to work perfectly.

It would indeed seem like a rights issue but we have another Windows 10 build which is currently in use which has none of these issues.

Maybe it's something that broke when I removed the apps or sysprepped the machine? I didn't get any errors from sysprep when using my unattend.xml file.

Could you suggest anything else or should I cut my losses & start again?

Sorry for the long post but there is a lot of details & I hope I made it clear.

Thank you again,
Fred.

Hi viveknayyar007,
Thanks for the input.

So it's not fixed.

I tried this:

- I made the domain user a member of the local admin group & logged in & everything worked perfectly.

- I removed the domain user from the local admin group & logged in again & things continued to work perfectly.

It would indeed seem like a rights issue but we have another Windows 10 build which is currently in use which has none of these issues.

Maybe it's something that broke when I removed the apps or sysprepped the machine? I didn't get any errors from sysprep when using my unattend.xml file.

Could you suggest anything else or should I cut my losses & start again?

Sorry for the long post but there is a lot of details & I hope I made it clear.

Thank you again,
Fred.
Hello again

This doesn't look correct if everything worked fine with local admin privileges and continued to work that way even after demoting the account to a standard user.

Can you please re-create the default user profile on both your local computer and the DC (for domain user) and see if it helps? If possible, you may also try creating a new OU and add the domain account to it to see if helps.

If it was something related to rights and privileges, the issue would have re-occurred when the account was removed from the Local Admins group.

Please report back with the results and we'll solve it together.

Cheers!!

Solution