black screen "disconnected" error no boot

davidtfull

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2014
I have an asus motherboard with two memory slots. The computer would not boot and I got a "disconnected" error. Removed the memory from the second slot and the computer booted. Replaced the memory in the second slot and the computer booted once. On the second attempt it went right back to the "disconnected" error. Removed the memory from the second slot and the computer will boot. But only once when there is memory in the second slot. Tried four different memory that I know were good but it seems like the second slot is frying them. Bad MO? Bad power supply? Computer will boot repeatedly is the second slot is vacant.

davidtfull

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2014

I was mistaken. (I have four different home builds most of which are ASUS) It is not an ASUS motherboard, it is a MSI 785gtm-e45 motherboard, with an AMD Phenom II X2 555 processor and (2) 2 GB DDR2 memory sticks. Power supply is 450 watt. (all leads showing proper voltage) Running Win XP Professional sp3.

The computer has run flawlessly for years. But last week when I booted it I got a “disconnected” error on the monitor. After going through all of the basic diagnostics I found that the memory stick in the second slot appeared to be the problem. When I removed the memory stick in the second slot the computer booted right up. I replaced the memory stick in the second slot with a known good memory stick and again the computer booted up. But when I tried to reboot (with both memory sticks in place) I got the same “disconnected” error on the monitor.

This happened with four different good memory sticks. But if I only use the first slot the computer boots without any errors. If I use the second slot it will boot once, but will not reboot with the second slot occupied. The memory sticks I was using are compatible with the motherboard. The CPU is not being overclocked, and nothing is tweeked within the bios. Replaced the cmos battery, cleared the bios and set it to basic, checked the video card, CPU temp well within range, fans all clean and running, no obvious blown capacitors, no loose connections, no corrosion within the memory slots, etc.

Also scanned for viruses, malaware etc., the computer is clean. Scan of the register showed no errors as well. It should be noted that all four of these previously good memory sticks are now shot.

Have you looked closely at the second RAM slot to make sure there is no dirt, pet hair or lint preventing a proper connection?

davidtfull

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2014

Yes, I checked the 2nd ram slot and it is clean, no corrosion, no foreign matter etc., I would imagine that if I was not getting a proper connection it would not boot the first time and show all 4 megs of ram afterwards. As I stated if you reboot after a successful boot with both slots populated, the memory stick in the 2nd slot gets fried and it will not boot. Remove the fried memory stick and it boots fine.