Apr 25, 2019
System Specs:
Intel i5
12GB DDR4
EVGA GTX 970 4GB
Corsair RM750x
H110 Chipset

Issue:
So, earlier this week my PSU Died, and so I went out to replace it, however, after installing the new supply I was met with an eternal black screen after Windows initially posted.
I go through a copious amount of troubleshooting and decide that the best thing to do is a Fresh Reset from bootable media and reinstall Windows. I go through all of that, get to the initial desktop and download the latest GTX drivers. Yet, in the middle of install I'm once again greeted with the eternal black screen of death... So, I boot into safe-mode and use DDU to uninstall all and any graphics drivers that are on the PC and install the drivers in safe-mode w/ Networking (Windows Update disabled). Everything seemingly goes OK here, except for the fact that the Nvidia Telemetry Client fails to install. Although, when booting normally I get the black screen again after the initial Windows post. I've used Event Viewer to try and catch any errors, but all I could glean from the logs were that the graphics card didn't fully install, it 'Required further Installation' or something like that; I can't remember the exact wording right now. I can also boot and use the computer normally when I take out the card and use the board's video output instead.

PLEASE HELP!!!! I've been working on this for almost a week now...

Last edited by a moderator:

gupps

Prominent
Apr 25, 2019
I've already:
ran Memory Diagnostics
rotated DIMM slots for RAM
rotated PCI slots for graphics card
formatted drives
used start-up repair
reinstalled Windows multiple times

gupps

Prominent
Apr 25, 2019
How exactly did the PSU die? Is it possible it died a catastrophic death and damaged something it was feeding... like the gfx card?
I was playing a game and it randomly shut off, and when I tried to turn it back on all of the fans would spin up for a second and the LEDs would flash on for a split second as well, but then everything would turn off. I'm thinking that the PSU might've taken the GPU with it, like you're saying, accurate? Both pieces of hardware are about 5 years old at this point...

winks42

Respectable
I was playing a game and it randomly shut off, and when I tried to turn it back on all of the fans would spin up for a second and the LEDs would flash on for a split second as well, but then everything would turn off. I'm thinking that the PSU might've taken the GPU with it, like you're saying, accurate? Both pieces of hardware are about 5 years old at this point...
This same PSU died on me too in the same way. Sometimes if the PSU dies it might short out a component its feeding and burst a capacitor or burn something out on the GPU's circuit board. but PSUs have circuit breakers to prevent damage to other components but it seems to have damaged yours. You can try an older driver but I doubt that would help. But what was interesting with mine is that my VRMs on my GPU fried shortly after the replacement one came so it might've been damaged also by the original PSU.