Black screen during AMD drivers installation

matiyarosz

Reputable
Sep 8, 2015
Hello, Yesterday I received my new GPU - AMD R9 390 MSI. Today I'm trying to install its drivers, but it doesn't seem to work very well. Every time I'm trying to install them my screen goes black. I know it is a normal symptom, but normally it should go back to normal after few minutes and my doesn't (I was waiting up to 25 minutes without any luck) so I have to restart my PC by holding the power button. Because I can't see anything, I don't even know if it is showing any error.

I'm using Windows 8.1 64 bit, i7 2600K and I've got Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P. Neither MSI or AMD don't have any support contact number in the UK. Can someone advise me what to do now, or at least where to find some logs from the installation. I've done some research online, but I don't think it is very common problem as no one managed to come up with fully working solution. Thanks

Solution
I've got the same problem as you have with the same video card, i've tried multiple AMD drivers (from official site and from MSI CD). But it just freeze's/stuck at black screen when it changes the resolution. I have to force a restart in order to make the PC work again. Sometimes CCC is installed but the driver isn't.

I've also tried to do this with teamviewer from another PC, but at the point it changes resolution, I lose connection.. So it seems it just freeze's/crashes the whole PC.

Im using a 22" screen with VGA, r9 390 doesnt have VGA so im using VGA to HDMI adapter.
It's a whole new PC build I bought 1 week ago, it's on a clean W8.1 Pro installation. So no other GPU drivers on it.

Arienvanhelden

Reputable
Sep 14, 2015
I've got the same problem as you have with the same video card, i've tried multiple AMD drivers (from official site and from MSI CD). But it just freeze's/stuck at black screen when it changes the resolution. I have to force a restart in order to make the PC work again. Sometimes CCC is installed but the driver isn't.

I've also tried to do this with teamviewer from another PC, but at the point it changes resolution, I lose connection.. So it seems it just freeze's/crashes the whole PC.

Im using a 22" screen with VGA, r9 390 doesnt have VGA so im using VGA to HDMI adapter.
It's a whole new PC build I bought 1 week ago, it's on a clean W8.1 Pro installation. So no other GPU drivers on it.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS