Question Black screen during driver installation MSI RADEON RX 5700 MECH OC

Mar 7, 2020
Hi,
I bought an MSI Radeon RX 5700 MECH OC 8 GB video card. I installed the hardware on the shop where I bought it, I checked and the installation was and is correct. It was my job to install the software and I start to do it.
At the beginning (without the driver installed) the video card works well since I have an AMD ryzen 7 2700x processor and it does not contain an integrated graphics card, which would be impossible to reproduce image without the basic operation of the RX5700 with the microsoft basic display driver adapter (in addition the hdmi cable of the monitor is connected to the board and not to the mother). On the other hand, the mother of my pc is the AM4 Asus prime a320m-k, it is not the best but I check and it is compatible with the RX5700. The rest of my computer consist in 2 fans, 2 ram memories of 8gb (Crucial brand) each, a Thermaltake Smart 80+ White source, a 3.5 "1Tb Western Digital WD Blue hard drive and another Kingston A400 960Gb SSD (the latter recently installed at the same time as the RX5700.) Both disks have original Windows 10 Pro installed, the SSD recently installed and updated to the full from the windows update, and it is in both that when installing the adrenaline driver (I tried in several versions and in several ways) that when the end of the installation is averaged, the image is updated and goes black with the monitor in standby without reproducing any images.
When resetting and after loading windows before the user screen, the monitor does not replay any image, went black screen and with the monitors´s light flashing. Upon returning to the restore point, before installing the adrenaline driver, everything returns to normal without the driver being installed.
The only way I managed to install it is without installing the AMD display driver, which is almost the same as not having managed to install anything. The monitor is connected via HDMI and its model and brand is “Curved Led Monitor 24 Samsung Full Hd 1080 Super Slim Xellers”.
I suspect it is a software problem between the mother and the RX5700. Cause in one hand I saw comments from other users in different forums with problems with this duo, on the other it is a fairly basic mother, besides it is as if the mother bios doesnt recognize the GPU, I do not see any configuration for the board port, and with all the rest of the components i dont have this problem.
One of the things I did, trying to solve the problem, was updating the mother bios to its latest version. So, with the installation of the latest version of the GPU driver, with the latest update of the mother's bios and windows 10 Pro (without any antivirus installed and also marking the factory installation option) I obtained the same result like at the beginning, black screen.
Other data that may be important: The temperature of the equipment is around 50º and the mother of 40º, within the normal ranges. GPU fans work normally.
There is some configuration on motherboard or windows that iam missing? There is a test driver that is not adrenaline? I test skyrim with the microsoft basic display driver , it works like <Mod Edit>.
PLS HELP, thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 7, 2020
Cabinet ATX Sentey GS-6008 Stealth
processor AMD ryzen 7 2700x
Mother: AM4 Asus prime a320m-k
Ram: 2 ram memories of 8gb Crucial 2400 MHz each
PSU: 700w Thermaltake Smart 80+ White source
hard drive 1Tb Western Digital WD Blue
SSD Kingston A400 960Gb
Both disks have original:
Windows 10 Pro installed updated
the SSD recently installed
Both presented the problem during installation
GPU: MSI Radeon RX 5700 MECH OC8gb
The monitor is connected via HDMI and its model and brand is “Curved Led Monitor 24 Samsung Full Hd 1080 Super Slim Xellers”.

Mar 7, 2020
The bios is uptodate

The monitor only has HDMI and RGB, The GPU dont have RGB. C24F390FHL ---Curved Led Monitor 24 Samsung Full Hd 1080 Super Slim Xellers

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2020
Hi,
I bought an MSI Radeon RX 5700 MECH OC 8 GB video card. I installed the hardware on the shop where I bought it, I checked and the installation was and is correct. It was my job to install the software and I start to do it.
At the beginning (without the driver installed) the video card works well since I have an AMD ryzen 7 2700x processor and it does not contain an integrated graphics card, which would be impossible to reproduce image without the basic operation of the RX5700 with the microsoft basic display driver adapter (in addition the hdmi cable of the monitor is connected to the board and not to the mother). On the other hand, the mother of my pc is the AM4 Asus prime a320m-k, it is not the best but I check and it is compatible with the RX5700. The rest of my computer consist in 2 fans, 2 ram memories of 8gb (Crucial brand) each, a Thermaltake Smart 80+ White source, a 3.5 "1Tb Western Digital WD Blue hard drive and another Kingston A400 960Gb SSD (the latter recently installed at the same time as the RX5700.) Both disks have original Windows 10 Pro installed, the SSD recently installed and updated to the full from the windows update, and it is in both that when installing the adrenaline driver (I tried in several versions and in several ways) that when the end of the installation is averaged, the image is updated and goes black with the monitor in standby without reproducing any images.
When resetting and after loading windows before the user screen, the monitor does not replay any image, went black screen and with the monitors´s light flashing. Upon returning to the restore point, before installing the adrenaline driver, everything returns to normal without the driver being installed.
The only way I managed to install it is without installing the AMD display driver, which is almost the same as not having managed to install anything. The monitor is connected via HDMI and its model and brand is “Curved Led Monitor 24 Samsung Full Hd 1080 Super Slim Xellers”.
I suspect it is a software problem between the mother and the RX5700. Cause in one hand I saw comments from other users in different forums with problems with this duo, on the other it is a fairly basic mother, besides it is as if the mother bios doesnt recognize the GPU, I do not see any configuration for the board port, and with all the rest of the components i dont have this problem.
One of the things I did, trying to solve the problem, was updating the mother bios to its latest version. So, with the installation of the latest version of the GPU driver, with the latest update of the mother's bios and windows 10 Pro (without any antivirus installed and also marking the factory installation option) I obtained the same result like at the beginning, black screen.
Other data that may be important: The temperature of the equipment is around 50º and the mother of 40º, within the normal ranges. GPU fans work normally.
There is some configuration on motherboard or windows that iam missing? There is a test driver that is not adrenaline? I test skyrim with the microsoft basic display driver , it works like <Mod Edit>.
PLS HELP, thanks
hi there, for me uninstalling drivers with ddu in safe mode worked , and only drivers 17.11.1 are working ,any others cousing black screen. then change wattman settings or msi afterburner to bit lower than default . and everything works fine for me. hope thats help.

Last edited by a moderator:

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I'm given to understand that the latest WHQL 20.2.2 has cleared up a LOT of issues that were happening before.

I would use DDU to uninstall the existing drivers, and then install the newest.

EDIT: Also, a lot of Thermaltake's power supplies aren't really that good. The Toughpower is a good one, the Smart series are NOT good.

And there are better ones available from other companies. See the first link in my sig for more info.

Mar 9, 2020
I'm given to understand that the latest WHQL 20.2.2 has cleared up a LOT of issues that were happening before.

I would use DDU to uninstall the existing drivers, and then install the newest.
hi ,new drivers didnt fix my problem. at the end of installation screen goes black and system hangs. was trying pretty much everything that was on internet. ddu, bios, updates ,drivers, downclocking, changing bios settings ,new windows , disable updates, audio drivers etc, only solution I found is installing 17.11.1 drivers in safe mode after ddu . hope that will save a time for anyone with similiar issues.

Mar 7, 2020
Well I resolved the issue.
Dont sure how. But iam sure that was windows . Kind noob of me actually didn't upgrade windows successfully , i though running windows update was enough to have windows uptodate apparently not : https://www.microsoft.com/es-es/software-download/windows10 with this it work. After this i run again windows update. Also i format my D disk, there i have nvidia archives and the amd clean up didnt reach there, that could be also the problem. Also I disable all windows defender options and also my configuration boot it wasnt configure to restart in normal way. I already have the bios and chipset uptodate, and amd masters (this boost my cpu a lot).

With all this it work, Thank you all.

Note: i use the last driver: https://www.amd.com/en/support/grap.../amd-radeon-rx-5700-series/amd-radeon-rx-5700

Reactions: King_V and suharoon
Mar 7, 2020
Hi all again, Well recently (1 day ago) an update of windows make the problem appear again. More over, now when update, the black screen happens even without the adrenaline driver install. If i used version 1806 when adrenaline driver is install i still had the black screen issue. And if I used versions 1903 or 1909 if i dont update and then install driver: black screen. And now when i update them i had this black screen issue without even the adrenaline installation. Should i post this in Windows section? Iam between a rock and a hard place here, Its software windows issue messing with my GPU (MSI Radeon RX 5700 MECH OC 8 GB ) right? No hardware problem?

The specs spec are the same above:

Cabinet ATX Sentey GS-6008 Stealth
processor AMD ryzen 7 2700x
Mother: AM4 Asus prime a320m-k
Ram: 2 ram memories of 8gb Crucial 2400 MHz each
PSU: 700w Thermaltake Smart 80+ White source
hard drive 1Tb Western Digital WD Blue
SSD Kingston A400 960Gb
Both disks have original:
Windows 10 Pro installed updated
the SSD recently installed
Both presented the problem during installation
GPU: MSI Radeon RX 5700 MECH OC8gb
The monitor is connected via HDMI and its model and brand is “Curved Led Monitor 24 Samsung Full Hd 1080 Super Slim Xellers”.

Bios and chipset uptodate, check it again,
thanks all

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I'll have to check to be sure, but my son's PC is running 1909, I believe. His PC's specs are in my sig (click on spoiler) under ChromaTron (different CPU, a B450-based board, different RAM etc)

This past Saturday, the 21st, we:
1 - Downloaded the latest DDU
2 - Downloaded the latest WHQL Radeon Adrenalin drivers (20.2.2 from March 5)
3 - Ran DDU in Safe mode to fully remove the existing (but older) Adrenalin drivers
4 - Removed his existing RX 580 (PowerColor)
5 - Installed the MSI 5700 Evoke OC
6 - Booted up
7 - Installed the drivers downloaded in step 2

That was it. Everything worked, and he gamed several hours per day from that Saturday up until Wednesday, without any trouble at all.

Reactions: firgon