[SOLVED] Black screen, fans full speed...

Apr 12, 2020
Hello,

since a couple of days i've been having trouble with my pc, and it seems to be getting worse... I am by no means a pc-expert but have tried to fix this myself with the help of older threads in this forum, unfortunatly to no avail...

It started a couple of days ago, while gaming (old games, so cpu/gpu technically shouldnt be being overworked) my pc screen would go black, fans to full speed and would only shut off if i held the power button. At first this seemed to only happen when gaming, with the time before going black becoming shorter (around 1-5 min in game) but then also started happening while browsing... Using a program i checked to see if CPU/ GPU temps were ok, and they were fine...

what i have tried so far:

1. first i though the GPU was overheating, so i renewed the thermal paste on it, also removed almost all dust inside the pc, still going black while gaming..
  2. I downloaded Whocrashed, but it didnt seem to register any crash...
  3. using MSI Afterburner, i set the Clock and Memory to about half, this allowed me to play my game without crashing, however crashing still sometimes occured while browsing
  4. thinking this was the PSU (as it is already about 5 years old) i bought a new PSU (Same wattage, newer model from same company), after installing it, pc wont even startup, upon turning on directly to black screen and full fans...
  5. with new PSU in, i reset the CMOS by shorting the 2 pins on my motherboard, still directly to black screen when turning computer on..

Now I am thinking the motherboard is messed up, but i wanted to see if maybe something else could be the source of the problem. Maybe you guys have any suggestions or solutions?? Any help would be appreciated

Specs:

CPU: AMD FX 6350
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6950
MB: MSI 890FXA-GD65
PSU: Thermaltake Paris 650w (old) ----- Thermaltake Berlin 650w (new)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8gb

Solution
if you have a 2x module RAM kit;
try each module separately. one stick could be bad.

try reseating/reinstalling all of the hardware and make sure all cables and connections are seated firmly.
if the CPU has come loose in it's socket, can lead to intermittent issues like you were facing and progress on to system failure.

try a different GPU. it could have started malfunctioning and has just finally bit the dust.

what do you consider to be "fine" temps? what are CPU & GPU hitting while idling and while in heavy use?

it's unlikely that you would have the same exact issue with two different PSUs but the Tt Berlin line is one that should be avoided. i would actually try to get a refund if still applicable and get something...

try reseating/reinstalling all of the hardware and make sure all cables and connections are seated firmly.
if the CPU has come loose in it's socket, can lead to intermittent issues like you were facing and progress on to system failure.

try a different GPU. it could have started malfunctioning and has just finally bit the dust.

what do you consider to be "fine" temps? what are CPU & GPU hitting while idling and while in heavy use?

it's unlikely that you would have the same exact issue with two different PSUs but the Tt Berlin line is one that should be avoided. i would actually try to get a refund if still applicable and get something reliable.

...maybe even just take this as a sign that it is time to upgrade to a modern platform and start a new build.

Solution
Apr 12, 2020

it's unlikely that you would have the same exact issue with two different PSUs but the Tt Berlin line is one that should be avoided. i would actually try to get a refund if still applicable and get something reliable.

...maybe even just take this as a sign that it is time to upgrade to a modern platform and start a new build.

Thank you for your response!

I will try it with only 1 RAM stick in a moment, as well as reseating the CPU and checking cables/sockets.

Temperatures of the GPU were around 20 while idle, while hovering around 70 while gaming. I did not attempt any stress tests... I cannot recall the exact CPU temp while idle but i remember googling to see if they were normal and they did not seem to indicate any overheating, while gaming the CPU temp never exceeded 80c (also no stress tests).

I have now also read that the Berlin PSU is not very good and will try to return it next week. Unfortunatley i do not have a spare GPU or Motherboard here to test with, so i will have to order online (as all the stores are closed... :/ ). Would you recommend first trying a new Mobo or GPU, because i do not have enough money for both right now.

But i do also fear that these components could just all be getting too old and worn out.. :( i do however need my pc for work and school so i would like to have it atleast running and be able to use some programs/browse until i can afford to upgrade everything

Apr 12, 2020
one thing i forgot to mention, i had noticed that when i flipped the power switch on the old PSU to on, it would automatically turn the pc on. I figured this was a result of a faulty PSU (which is why a bought the new one). Could this instead be a problem with the mobo though?

Apr 12, 2020

ok so i just unconnected and reconntected all cables, unseated the cpu, put on new thermal paste and reseated it.

also tried each RAM stick seperately in both both slots. still black screen when i turn my pc on.

so i guess this rules out a CPU or RAM problem right? must be either Mobo or GPU then?

I dont know if this helps, but there used to be a beep when i started the pc. This doesnt occur anymore. Does this mean its a mobo issue? because if the gpu were faulty, the mobo would still beep right?

Last edited:
it depends on the beep. a lot of motherboards have these built-in warning beeps or lights to show certain issues.
but, it seems it's sometimes hard to find exactly what they mean.

really the only way to easily diagnose this type of situation is to try switching out each component with a known working one.
either trying functioning components on your board
or trying your components on a known functioning board.

Apr 12, 2020
it depends on the beep. a lot of motherboards have these built-in warning beeps or lights to show certain issues.
but, it seems it's sometimes hard to find exactly what they mean.

really the only way to easily diagnose this type of situation is to try switching out each component with a known working one.
either trying functioning components on your board
or trying your components on a known functioning board.

as i do not have any spare parts, this will be difficult to do... i guess i will have to buy first either a new gpu or mobo and test it out, which do you recommend i try first? how easy is it to return pc components bought online (amazon for example), because then i could buy both and return the one i dont need..

Aug 27, 2020
Hello,

since a couple of days i've been having trouble with my pc, and it seems to be getting worse... I am by no means a pc-expert but have tried to fix this myself with the help of older threads in this forum, unfortunatly to no avail...

It started a couple of days ago, while gaming (old games, so cpu/gpu technically shouldnt be being overworked) my pc screen would go black, fans to full speed and would only shut off if i held the power button. At first this seemed to only happen when gaming, with the time before going black becoming shorter (around 1-5 min in game) but then also started happening while browsing... Using a program i checked to see if CPU/ GPU temps were ok, and they were fine...

what i have tried so far:

1. first i though the GPU was overheating, so i renewed the thermal paste on it, also removed almost all dust inside the pc, still going black while gaming..
  2. I downloaded Whocrashed, but it didnt seem to register any crash...
  3. using MSI Afterburner, i set the Clock and Memory to about half, this allowed me to play my game without crashing, however crashing still sometimes occured while browsing
  4. thinking this was the PSU (as it is already about 5 years old) i bought a new PSU (Same wattage, newer model from same company), after installing it, pc wont even startup, upon turning on directly to black screen and full fans...
  5. with new PSU in, i reset the CMOS by shorting the 2 pins on my motherboard, still directly to black screen when turning computer on..
Now I am thinking the motherboard is messed up, but i wanted to see if maybe something else could be the source of the problem. Maybe you guys have any suggestions or solutions?? Any help would be appreciated

Specs:

CPU: AMD FX 6350
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6950
MB: MSI 890FXA-GD65
PSU: Thermaltake Paris 650w (old) ----- Thermaltake Berlin 650w (new)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8gb
Did you figure out what the problem was?