Question Black Screen Fans go 100% mental - GTX 1060 3gb

Mar 22, 2019
Able to operate computer normally until first millisecond of game or bench starting.
Black screen Gpu fans 100%. Can still hear HDDs working.
Temp 45 just before.

Tried - different monitor, changing ram, DDU for drivers reinstall. Reseated card. Nothing. Problem absent using onboard graphics.

Card problem.

Curiosity drove me to open it and I notice unusual oil residue under certain parts of heatsink (thefkisthat?) so wiped away and removed/reapplied thermal compound on gpu.

My thoughts now - I'm thinking it could be power draw issue. Whenever the card is asked to do a more power demanding task its either taking too much and shutting down to prevent damage and fans speed up to counter any heat rise which there doesn't seem to be any. Or Gpu not receiving any power and it's being sent wrongly to the fans.

not overclocked + bios defaults bought off ebay over a months ago no problems till now

600w psu

Anything I can try? Thanks

Mar 22, 2019
I am having black screen problem when launching games.
I am wondering if a bios update for card would fix issue. It probably wouldn't but I'm willing to give it a try.

Can anyone direct me to a bios update?

Thank you

Mar 22, 2019
Cannot get graphics card to post on Intel dz77bh-55k
GTX 1060 posts with other motherboard

Cannot get any signal when posting with gtx 1060 or get into bios, but I can hear hard drives working and booting windows in background.

With graphics card plugged in and booting with onboard graphics, Motherboard bios says that all pcie slots not populated <ffff:ffff> and speccy says that they are available.
I've tried booting with hd3870 and get same issue.

I had no problems with this setup till a few days ago. I had made no hardware changes, and when I launched a game it would go black and fans speed up.

Somehow that problem stopped today and I could access games.

But the current no post problem happened when trying to OC ram, failing and resetting bios.

In that time I did plug in a case fan to the power supply. It was fan with molex female connected to a molex male to 6pin adapter.

When I turned on pc there was a bit of a pop and I could smell electrical burning.

I think it was since then I've not been able to post with graphics card..

Mar 22, 2019
Cannot get graphics card to post on Intel dz77bh-55k
GTX 1060 posts with other motherboard

Cannot get any signal when posting with gtx 1060 or get into bios, but I can hear hard drives working and booting windows in background.

With graphics card plugged in and booting with onboard graphics, Motherboard bios says that all pcie slots not populated <ffff:ffff> and speccy says that they are available.
I've tried booting with hd3870 and get same issue.

I had no problems with this setup till a few days ago. I had made no hardware changes, and when I launched a game it would go black and fans speed up.

Somehow that problem stopped today and I could access games.

But the current no post problem happened when trying to OC ram, failing and resetting bios.

In that time I did plug in a case fan to the power supply. It was fan with molex female connected to a molex male to 6pin adapter.

When I turned on pc there was a bit of a pop and I could smell electrical burning.

I think it was since then I've not been able to post with graphics card..
I don't know if I've messed something up with resetting bios and removing cmos battery or pcie lanes blown up or psu blown up.
Hope it's not the mb

Mar 22, 2019
* PLEASE DELETE MY OTHER THREAD AND LEAVE THIS ONE ACTIVE *

Problem roller-coaster it's one thing after another.

I'm having problems with GPU detection and have a question about powering a motherboard that has two power slots for CPU with a PSU that only has one CPU power cable.
Is it doable?

GTX 1060
INTEL DZ77BH-55K

Some history:
Day 1:
Black screen when starting games / benchmarks and gpu fan 100% reset required. IGPU fine.
Day 2:
Everything seemed to be working again.
Day 2.5
Added new CPU cooler and added case fan with molex connected to 6pin straight into PSU.
Heard pop from PSU
NO POST / BIOS with GPU, IGPU fine.
Tested GPU with other older system and works fine.
Day 3:
Using old system I connected PSU that 'popped' and have no post from GPU whereas with old PSU I was successful. Igpu fine

Present:
Is it possible the PSU is broken even though it does power up IGPU in my newer system? I was hoping it was just a Bios issue.

I need to check if I've mashed up my motherboard too so I want to know if its possible to connect older PSU with only 1 cpu power connector to the motherboard in question that requires 2?

Will it blow up if I only plug the one in?

Also, if PSU is half dead, do you think the psu is not able to deliver power to the pcie ports?

Last edited: