[SOLVED] Black screen, fans spin, no USB power ---- can a corrupted BIOS cause these symptoms ?

Sep 15, 2021
worked fined yesterday with everything detected, but after a few power outages it's just a black screen now, no post screen/bios or anything.

-powers on, fan spins, no usb power. Black screen , but there seems to be HDMI signal since my monitor detects/stays on the connected HDMI. if no signal my monitor will cycle through the video outputs, if it doesn't find a signal it will go on standby mode, which it doesn't in this case.
- plugging a PS2 Keyboard, the Num/Caps/Scroll will light up only for a split second then goes back to nothing. Tried plugging in PS2 KB only, no difference.
-Confirmed GPU works on another pc.
-The DVI port on the motherboard also keeps my monitor on the connected port. Tried it without the GPU, still black screen.
-Ram should be fine, all 4x4gb was detected yesterday. MEMOK led doesn't blink/stay on. Tried 1/2/3/4 sticks at a time, still black screen.
-also tried some old ram sticks, the memok led stays red, pressing the memok button it will power cycle to try to configure it, but still fails and goes back to being solid red.
- Did try a different PSU, still black screen only.
-tried using only either one, removed both HDD & SSD, the harddrives power up, but still black screen.
-also tried a different wall outlet? still the same black screen
-everything powers on except the USB/PS2(only lit up split second when just plugged in)

I did manage to get into the bios a few times(rarely, now never), the BIOS screen would show up and remain frozen and keyboard(still had power) would go unresponsive(usually able to enable/disable caps, but the numlock would stay on regardless of pressing it).

There were also instances when I managed to get into the bios but the text would glitch/out of place then freeze permanently. I did clear cmos/jumper pins(did both seperately) each time this happened. also held down the power button for 30s with cmos/psu cable out.

Last time i got into the bios it worked fine, was about to select an installation boot drive then it restarted out of nowhere, black screens ever since.
only once after this it went to a blinking underscore black screen, but still no power to USB/PS2 keyboard. now it's just a black screen.

Specs
Asus P8Z77-V LX, i5 3570K,
4x4gb ddr3 corsair vengeance,
600w gold rated PSU
660 Ti GPU
1x HDD/1 x SSD

option 1: new motherboard, still able to find these for 50+$
option 2: new bios chip for 10$
option 3: CH341A bios programmer for 3$

Could the problem be elsewhere/on the motherboard? all the capacitors look fine/no burnt traces.
if the bios chip was dead/damaged by ESD, is option 3 worth trying? my motherboard does claim to have some surge protection? not sure how that held up. For now I ordered a CH341A to test the bios chip once it arrives.

Last edited:
worked fined yesterday with everything detected, but after a few power outages it's just a black screen now, no post screen/bios or anything.

-powers on, fan spins, no usb power. Black screen , but there seems to be HDMI signal since my monitor detects/stays on the connected HDMI. if no signal my monitor will cycle through the video outputs, if it doesn't find a signal it will go on standby mode, which it doesn't in this case.
- plugging a PS2 Keyboard, the Num/Caps/Scroll will light up only for a split second then goes back to nothing. Tried plugging in PS2 KB only, no difference.
-Confirmed GPU works on another pc.
-The DVI port on the motherboard also keeps my monitor on the connected port. Tried it without the GPU, still black screen.
-Ram should be fine, all 4x4gb was detected yesterday. MEMOK led doesn't blink/stay on. Tried 1/2/3/4 sticks at a time, still black screen.
-also tried some old ram sticks, the memok led stays red, pressing the memok button it will power cycle to try to configure it, but still fails and goes back to being solid red.
- Did try a different PSU, still black screen only.
-tried using only either one, removed both HDD & SSD, the harddrives power up, but still black screen.
-also tried a different wall outlet? still the same black screen
-everything powers on except the USB/PS2(only lit up split second when just plugged in)

I did manage to get into the bios a few times(rarely, now never), the BIOS screen would show up and remain frozen and keyboard(still had power) would go unresponsive(usually able to enable/disable caps, but the numlock would stay on regardless of pressing it).

There were also instances when I managed to get into the bios but the text would glitch/out of place then freeze permanently. I did clear cmos/jumper pins(did both seperately) each time this happened. also held down the power button for 30s with cmos/psu cable out.

Last time i got into the bios it worked fine, was about to select an installation boot drive then it restarted out of nowhere, black screens ever since.
only once after this it went to a blinking underscore black screen, but still no power to USB/PS2 keyboard. now it's just a black screen.

Specs
Asus P8Z77-V LX, i5 3570K, 4x4gb ddr3 corsair vengeance, 600w gold rated psu, 660ti, 1hdd/1ssd.
option 1: new motherboard, still able to find these for 50+$
option 2: new bios chip for 10$
option 3: CH341A bios programmer for 3$

Could the problem be elsewhere/on the motherboard? all the capacitors look fine/no burnt traces.
if the bios chip was dead/damaged by ESD, is option 3 worth trying? my motherboard does claim to have some surge protection? not sure how that held up. For now I ordered a CH341A to test the bios chip once it arrives.
i have a broken Z77M D3H and i think it's the ic faulty, might get a service but didn't opt to. The boards look fine, no damages, power everything normally but no usb power. i opted to buy a B75M HD3 and everything works perfectly.

Sep 15, 2021
damn looks like theres a high chance i'll have to replace the board then. oh well, i'll at least wait until that bios chip programmer arrives to check

damn looks like theres a high chance i'll have to replace the board then. oh well, i'll at least wait until that bios chip programmer arrives to check
Yup, you could try that too, the thing that i have with my z77m is i tried to kick the dual bios, but it wont work. i tried the same on my b75m just to test if i did it right, yep it worked, dual bios automatically rewrites the main bios.

Sep 15, 2021
Yup, you could try that too, the thing that i have with my z77m is i tried to kick the dual bios, but it wont work. i tried the same on my b75m just to test if i did it right, yep it worked, dual bios automatically rewrites the main bios.

I got it working again! just finished re-installing windows on it! The CH341A Programmer worked wonders, took awhile to look for drivers/software for it though. glad i didn't have to buy another motherboard/cpu, should definitely buy a motherboard speaker though.

TRENDING THREADS