[SOLVED] Black Screen, Fans Spinning

Nov 4, 2021
Hi,

I'm currently experiencing a black screen with all fans spinning at full power when I try to start up the PC or rebooot the PC after it has gone to sleep. I did not experience any problems while the PC was running, even with games.

This happened six months ago as well. That time I reseated the two RAM sticks and this coincided with the PC working again. But this time reseating the RAM sticks did not work. Instead I have removed the GPU (graphics card), only using the internal graphics chip now. This allows the system to start up or reboot normally.

I'm unsure how to troubleshoot this, as I don't have access to another similar PC to try out the graphics card or PSU (power supply unit).

My system:

PSU: be quiet! System Power 9 700W ATX 2.4
Motherboard: MBI So1151 MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon
CPU: Intel So1151 Core i7 9700K 8x3.6 Ghz
RAM: 2 x DDR4-3000 8 GB PC4-24000 ADATA XPG Gammix D10 bulk
Boot Drive: SSD M.2 500 GB Solid State Disk Samsung 970 EVO Plus
GPU: VGP NVIDIA Inno3D RTX 2070 8GB X2 OC

I'd be thankful for any advice as how to troubleshoot my problem. I wouldn't want to blindly buy a new PSU or GPU, when the problem might just as well be the motherboard.

Kind regards!

Nov 4, 2021
Motherboard BIOS fully up to date?

I always wonder why people buy an overkill PSU of bare minimum quality alowed for the system instead of a high quality with less power. For your rig better a high end 550w instead of a budget 700w.

Thank you for your advice. I have updated the BIOS and then reinserted the graphics card into the motherboard. Right now, the PC restarts without any problems. So perhaps, that was it. I think I will have to give it some time, and I will post if the problem should appear again.

As to the PSU, the majority of my system was built by a hardware retailer two years ago. I could choose and swap basically all of the components. However, the choices were limited. I don't think there were any "high-end PSUs" on offer. And, at least at the time, I thought the be quiet! PSU was quite good and the more watts the better. It would be very kind of you if you could share with me, what you consider to be high-end PSUs, because I will either have to replace my PSU at some point or build a new system altogether.

Thank you @AntonyLovric as well. I will come back to your advice if the system misbehaves again. It wasn't the correct manual, but I know what you mean.

Nov 4, 2021
Hi,

Today I have experienced the problem again. That is, the screen is black and the fans are spinning at max when rebooting from sleep or restarting the system. So, I cleared CMOS and it works again, at least for now. Specifically, I took the following steps:

1) I removed the graphics card. Using the internal graphics only, the system starts normally without any problems.

2) Using the jumper, I cleared CMOS and thereby reset the BIOS. After that, the system, with internal graphics only, still starts without any problems.

3) I then reinstalled the graphics card. Right now, the system restarts without any problems. I will give it some time, and post if the problem occurs again.