Question Black Screen Flash after booting into Windows

Aug 14, 2024
After every boot i get flashing black screen for about half a second.
i assume its the fault of my GPU, because when booting with my iGPU the problem does not occur.
i did not run into any other problems with my gpu yet and temps/perfomance seems fine in games.

What could be the cause of this? And is this something that is fixable or is my GPU potentially dying?

GPU : RTX 3070
CPU: Ryzen 7 7700x
Mainboard: MSI B650 Tomahawk WIFI
PSU: 750W be quiet! Pure Power 11
BIOS Version: 7D75v1J
GPU Driver: 556.12

kanewolf

Titan
i assume its the fault of my GPU, because when booting with my iGPU the problem does not occur.
i did not run into any other problems with my gpu yet and temps/perfomance seems fine in games.

What could be the cause of this? And is this something that is fixable or is my GPU potentially dying?

Are you using a high refresh in Windows? BIOS and boot is generally at 60Hz to support the most monitors. The change to a high res or high refresh could definitely cause the symptom you see.

Reactions: CountMike

Although GPU drivers are among first to load in the background, settings may not have come into effect until OS is fully operational so monitor may not get right signal for a short moment and goes black. It's not a sign of any HW failing unless it happens regularly at other times.
What you can try is to clear out all GPU drivers and settings using DDU and install newest drivers which should force them to initialize earlier. It would also help if windows recognize monitor model and if it doesn't, find driver for it.

Reactions: Imperat0r