[SOLVED] Black Screen, Flashing Line

Mar 16, 2020
So I had a friend who tried to upgrade his GPU. When he did his pc wouldnt turn on anymore, at all. So we installed a new mobo and it now starts up. With the new mobo we also put a new gpu and ram in. It also has 1 2tb HDD and a 500gb(?) SSD. My guess was he cracked the mobo when installing.

So that's why I have the pc now. Now a new issue has occured which is why I'm here.

Now when I boot the pc it will go through the mobo screen then stop at a blank black screen with a flashing line. I thought maybe windows was on the other drive so I swapped the boot order. The second drive then tells me to select a drive with a operating system (I cant think of exact wording)

So now I'm kind of stuck. I appreciate any help you guys have to offer!

Solution
I appreciate the response and help.

The new motherboard is a Asus m5a78lm plus
The old motherboard is a ASROCK 970m pro3

I was worried about installing windows 10 again because the SSD would have 2 copies of windows and wouldnt it have issues with double drivers and such? Or is that not an issue ?
Sorry for late reaction, I wasn't here/well yesterday
I think you best clean installing win 10 onto the ssd again. It means removing everything on the ssd during the install, no 2 copies of windows as such.
Do you have a win 10 installer? Always helps to have a new one anyway - On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

Anything on the ssd you want to save before...

Colif

Win 11 Master
So we installed a new mobo and it now starts up.

Now when I boot the pc it will go through the mobo screen then stop at a blank black screen with a flashing line. I thought maybe windows was on the other drive so I swapped the boot order. The second drive then tells me to select a drive with a operating system (I cant think of exact wording)

These 2 are related. Its possible that the boot method on the new motherboard is different to the one used on the drives. Can always change it and see.
Can you tell me what motherboard it is? IS it same make/model as what he had before?

Often if you replace motherboard it helps to reinstall win 10 anyway as it can be classified as a new PC if you swap too much. we worry about the win 10 licence later...

Reactions: Jaggofff
Mar 16, 2020
These 2 are related. Its possible that the boot method on the new motherboard is different to the one used on the drives. Can always change it and see.
Can you tell me what motherboard it is? IS it same make/model as what he had before?

Often if you replace motherboard it helps to reinstall win 10 anyway as it can be classified as a new PC if you swap too much. we worry about the win 10 licence later...

I was worried about installing windows 10 again because the SSD would have 2 copies of windows and wouldnt it have issues with double drivers and such? Or is that not an issue ?

Colif

Win 11 Master

I think you best clean installing win 10 onto the ssd again. It means removing everything on the ssd during the install, no 2 copies of windows as such.
Do you have a win 10 installer? Always helps to have a new one anyway - On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

Anything on the ssd you want to save before we start?
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type notepad and press enter
in notepad, select file>open
Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or hdd

Once you have copied everything you want to save onto the hdd, follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

When you get to screen asking for license, click "I don't have a key" and we can fix it up afterwards.

Solution
Mar 16, 2020

Anything on the ssd you want to save before we start?
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type notepad and press enter
in notepad, select file>open
Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or hdd

Once you have copied everything you want to save onto the hdd, follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

When you get to screen asking for license, click "I don't have a key" and we can fix it up afterwards.
You're okay. I hope you're alright!

Thats what I was thinking but I was saving that as a last resort. There's nothing on the solid state needed so a fresh install is fine. I also have the windows 10 key, ill put it in when it asks.

This is an issue I had yesterday though that is really weird. I have a laptop with like a 32gb HD so its got really no space. It requires 8gb to make the installation media. I've cleared every folder I can and uninstalled almost everything not needed, its still not enough space and I have no clue how to make space.

On a normal day I'd just run to the library and do it really quick but rona virus and all...

P.s. My pc took a dump :( almost got it back up and running, just need my cpu :)

Colif

Win 11 Master
Since the installer is getting so big now, its almost impossible to install it on 32gb ssd. They are too small... anything smaller than 250 is now. We have people around here with similar problems.

Win 10 1809 allowed you to use an extra USB drive for more space during update but I think (for some reason) they removed that feature since. I don't know why they did that.

one obvious answer is put in a bigger ssd - I could have thought of that without it wasting an answer here - https://www.minitool.com/partition-disk/not-enough-space-for-win-10.html - none of thsoe really help since you can't add extra space you don't have.

I was just really tired, and no use trying to answer questions when I am like that :)

Mar 16, 2020
Since the installer is getting so big now, its almost impossible to install it on 32gb ssd. They are too small... anything smaller than 250 is now. We have people around here with similar problems.

Win 10 1809 allowed you to use an extra USB drive for more space during update but I think (for some reason) they removed that feature since. I don't know why they did that.

one obvious answer is put in a bigger ssd - I could have thought of that without it wasting an answer here - https://www.minitool.com/partition-disk/not-enough-space-for-win-10.html - none of thsoe really help since you can't add extra space you don't have.

I was just really tired, and no use trying to answer questions when I am like that :)
Hopefully, since the laptop hasn't been updated in a while, I can do that. If that works all my problems should be solved. I appreciate your help and sorry for taking your time for relatively noob information. I thought thered be another way besides a fresh install. Thank you!