[SOLVED] Black screen/frozen display, audio freezing, PC freezes then shuts down ?

Dec 10, 2020
The computer specs are as follows
MSI B450M Mortar Max
Ryzen 5 3600
2x 8 GB 3200 MHz Kingston HyperX RAM
Gigabyte RX 5500 XT 4GB
500W Seasonic Bronze PSU (Replaced old PSU with this as a troubleshooting measure, issue still occurs)
1 TB SSD
120 GB SSD

This happens out of nowhere, notably when I have YouTube in an external or ingame browser. Happens when I'm playing games.
The computer would freeze and would either have a frozen image while a distorted version of the last sound that was playing, or a black screen and the same sound distortion or loss of sound.
It would then lose signal, my peripherals would shut down sometimes, and then regain power. Sometimes it would lose signal to the display and then everything else is on.

It had happened to me before with latest drivers, and a lot of times it would not recognize my GPU driver in Device Manager, and when I would try to launch RADEON SOFTWARE from Start Menu it wouldn't launch. It does not show up on the right click menu in Desktop as well.
I've also checked Event Viewer, one time this happened it gave me a "Radeon something something has timed out but has successfully recovered" and did not crash the computer, while other times I would have that error message in Display section of Warning section in Event Viewer, but I've often had to restart despite what was in the event log.

I've reverted to 21.3.2 and 21.3.1 to see if it was a driver issue, doesn't seem to help.

Last edited:
The computer specs are as follows
MSI B450M Mortar Max
Ryzen 5 3600
2x 8 GB 3200 MHz Kingston HyperX RAM
Gigabyte RX 5500 XT 4GB
500W Seasonic Bronze PSU (Replaced old PSU with this as a troubleshooting measure, issue still occurs)
1 TB SSD
120 GB SSD

This happens out of nowhere, notably when I have YouTube in an external or ingame browser. Happens when I'm playing games.
The computer would freeze and would either have a frozen image while a distorted version of the last sound that was playing, or a black screen and the same sound distortion or loss of sound.
It would then lose signal, my peripherals would shut down sometimes, and then regain power. Sometimes it would lose signal to the display and then everything else is on.

It had happened to me before with latest drivers, and a lot of times it would not recognize my GPU driver in Device Manager, and when I would try to launch RADEON SOFTWARE from Start Menu it wouldn't launch. It does not show up on the right click menu in Desktop as well.
I've also checked Event Viewer, one time this happened it gave me a "Radeon something something has timed out but has successfully recovered" and did not crash the computer, while other times I would have that error message in Display section of Warning section in Event Viewer, but I've often had to restart despite what was in the event log.

I've reverted to 21.3.2 and 21.3.1 to see if it was a driver issue, doesn't seem to help.
you could try these step by step:
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall the gpu driver using ddu (clean and do not restart)
  • Uninstall all the processors on device manager (should be 12 on yours) like this:
    unknown.png
  • Restart pc to bios and update the bios (download the file, extract it, copy the folder you extracted to flash drive, plug the flash drive on top rear motherboard, and find bios flash menu and find the folder, and proceed flash the .cap file, wait and let it restart), then go to bios after update and load default/optimized settings.

• boot up to windows and install the latest AMD Chipset driver, reboot, and go to power plan and choose amd ryzen balanced power plans. you may now connect to internet.

• Install the latest radeon driver.

• And check windows update (and optional updates) if there is any. install them all (and reboot if required).
*do this all offline until reboot after installing amd chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did), make sure your ram is on slot 2 and 4. Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1.

Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:

unknown.png

Dec 10, 2020
you could try these step by step:
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall the gpu driver using ddu (clean and do not restart)
  • Uninstall all the processors on device manager (should be 12 on yours) like this:
    unknown.png
  • Restart pc to bios and update the bios (download the file, extract it, copy the folder you extracted to flash drive, plug the flash drive on top rear motherboard, and find bios flash menu and find the folder, and proceed flash the .cap file, wait and let it restart), then go to bios after update and load default/optimized settings.

• boot up to windows and install the latest AMD Chipset driver, reboot, and go to power plan and choose amd ryzen balanced power plans. you may now connect to internet.

• Install the latest radeon driver.

• And check windows update (and optional updates) if there is any. install them all (and reboot if required).
*do this all offline until reboot after installing amd chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did), make sure your ram is on slot 2 and 4. Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1.

Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:

unknown.png

Thank you for the response!
Unfortunately, I have done that before and the issue persists still. I also have installed and uninstalled Ryzen Master with no difference.
The PSU I'm using is connected in the manner in which you described, issue still exists.

Nonetheless, thank you!

Dec 10, 2020
Update: had the issue again. It froze my display/image for ~2 minutes with the background music of the game still going, I was able to move my cursor around but then it froze and gave me the same black screen/no display and then shutoff/no signal with buzzing noise looping.

In event viewer during the duration, it has two Warning logs that say "Display driver amdwddmg stopped responding and has successfully recovered." It evidently didn't recover because I was forced to do a restart using the power button.

Update: had the issue again. It froze my display/image for ~2 minutes with the background music of the game still going, I was able to move my cursor around but then it froze and gave me the same black screen/no display and then shutoff/no signal with buzzing noise looping.

In event viewer during the duration, it has two Warning logs that say "Display driver amdwddmg stopped responding and has successfully recovered." It evidently didn't recover because I was forced to do a restart using the power button.
what is the ssd?

Dec 10, 2020
Had the RX 5500 XT tested in two separate units, both were crashing/shutting down across the board as described in my original post. Have not experienced it with my new GPU thus far, despite running it harder than I usually do.

Thanks everyone, this was a very stressing and informative experience. Thank you all!

Reactions: Vic 40