[SOLVED] Black Screen (Gaming)

Jun 24, 2019
Hi,

Had a new PC built and sent to me, apparently the PC was tested for 5 days before being sent out to me,
Paid extra for moderate overclocking.

Installed a 2nd SSD when it arrived.

Having serious issues with the PC black screening while gaming, seems to be random, anything from 5 minutes to 5 hours, had a few google searches to see if the issues was an easy fix but nothing has worked so far, downloaded MSI to monitor temperatures (GPU 35c idle 60c-70c Gaming CPU 30c-50c) also downloaded Prime95 and the computer black screens within 3-4 minutes during prime95. I turned off overclocking (turned off OC Profile and set back to auto?) but still getting the black screens, no error reports in event viewer or minidumps. Any more ideas ? Before I contact the sites support.

Specs:
PSU: Corsair CX550 550W
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1400 3.2Ghz
Cooler: CM MasterAir MA410P
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2400Mhz
Motherboard: Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming
GPU: Nvidia GeForce® GTX 1660 6GB
Storage: 250GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD (Windows 10)
2nd: 1TB Samsung 860 Evo SSD

EDIT:
Just to add, I also removed graphics driver with DDU and reinstalled fresh and still same issue. Also when downloading normal upto date driver when installing i get a sorry unable to install driver message telling me to download GeForce experience and install driver that way which works, not sure if that’s relevant or normal.

Last edited:
Solution
hi thanks for the reply.

PC was built on 6th june and delivered on 14th after testing, was hoping it wouldnt be a hardware error just to avoid to having to send away etc etc, but if thats gonna be the only option.

CPU cores temps seems fine, all 8 27c idle low 40c under load (subnautica 1 hour)
Also not 100% it is black screening now could just be shutting down, screen goes black but RGB lit usb keyboard and mouse switch off.
If it can happen at any point, testing it in safe mode would more or less confirm if it is hardware or software.
It may be useful to identify if it is blackscreening or shutting down, because they can be indicative of different problems.

But overall, there are plenty of trials/errors and tests we could...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

How new is the PC, if it is new, and you paid for them to make it and sort it, regardless I would contact them to have them fix it as they should sort it if they have sold faulty items.

What are your individual CPU core temps under load, not jsut the overall package?
Does the black screen only occur when it is under load?

Jun 24, 2019
hi thanks for the reply.

PC was built on 6th june and delivered on 14th after testing, was hoping it wouldnt be a hardware error just to avoid to having to send away etc etc, but if thats gonna be the only option.

CPU cores temps seems fine, all 8 27c idle low 40c under load (subnautica 1 hour)
Also not 100% it is black screening now could just be shutting down, screen goes black but RGB lit usb keyboard and mouse switch off.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
hi thanks for the reply.

If it can happen at any point, testing it in safe mode would more or less confirm if it is hardware or software.
It may be useful to identify if it is blackscreening or shutting down, because they can be indicative of different problems.

But overall, there are plenty of trials/errors and tests we could perform to identify the issue, but ultimately, when the PC is this new and it was prebuilt, personally I would return it to them for them to solve as they will also need to be aware of the issues their products could have.

Solution
Jun 24, 2019
Just an update to say this is now sorted, and if anyone has similar issue.

Seems the CPU cooler had come loose during shipping, had some good quality thermal paste from a redo on a PS4 pro so thought I would change it up just to make sure it wasn’t a CPU issue and 2 holding bolts to the back plate were extremely loose so one side of the cpu cooler wasnt making great contact with the CPU, clearly hadnt checked well enough when I received the system, reapplied new paste tightened them back up so happy to say temps have gone down even more and haven’t had any more issues in over a week (40 hours game time) so hopefully issue is sorted.

Thanks for the help 👍

Reactions: PC Tailor

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Just an update to say this is now sorted, and if anyone has similar issue.

Seems the CPU cooler had come loose during shipping, had some good quality thermal paste from a redo on a PS4 pro so thought I would change it up just to make sure it wasn’t a CPU issue and 2 holding bolts to the back plate were extremely loose so one side of the cpu cooler wasnt making great contact with the CPU, clearly hadnt checked well enough when I received the system, reapplied new paste tightened them back up so happy to say temps have gone down even more and haven’t had any more issues in over a week (40 hours game time) so hopefully issue is sorted.

Thanks for the help 👍
No problem, just remember to select a best answer so that others visiting forum can see.