Question Black Screen: GPU or PSU?

tvilaboa

Reputable
Oct 4, 2016
Hi! I started having issues a few weeks ago when trying to run TWW2. Intro and menus work ok, but as soon as the game starts, the screen turns black, GPU fan starts spinning 100% and sound keeps working ok. A few seconds after that, the keyboard stops responding. I run FunMark to check if it was an issue with the game and the same thing happens as soon as any test starts. However, it works ok in some less intensive games (Transport Fever 1). I'm trying to find a way to confirm if the issue is the GPU or the PSU. Any suggestions?

Specs:
  • MSI RX 480 GAMING X 8G (bough on 2016 and used to mine ethereum for a while with a litter overclock) 110W
    • BIOS TV341MH.151 . Should I update to TV341MH.154 ?
  • EVGA Supernova 850W G2 (should be way more than enough)
  • Ryzen 1700x 95W
  • 32gb Ram
  • GA-AX370-Gaming K7
Things I tried:
  • Cleaned everything with Air Duster and reconnect power cable (6+2pins). I haven't reconnected the GPU itself because it's kinda jammed, but if it was a PCI issue, I should at least see some artifacts.
  • Ran Prime 95 Small FFTs and Large FFTs and it's totally stable.
  • Multiple GPU drivers, including clean install with DDU
  • Different BIOS with default/custom config. Currently using F31.
  • Underclocked GPU. I managed to run the game with the GPU underclocked and in windowed mode with the smallest resolution, but it was lagged.
The PSU has 10-year warranty but it looks like it's the GPU. Any replacement suggestions? Thanks!

Last edited:

Blitz Blitz

Distinguished
May 18, 2015
Maybe your friends can give you gpu and psu for some time? If yes, i'll start with gpu change, and make system load, with games, or benchmarks. If you got the same result, it can be psu issue, so test it too. If you wanna change gpu, take best by your budget, cause you have strong system.

tvilaboa

Reputable
Oct 4, 2016
Maybe your friends can give you gpu and psu for some time? If yes, i'll start with gpu change, and make system load, with games, or benchmarks. If you got the same result, it can be psu issue, so test it too. If you wanna change gpu, take best by your budget, cause you have strong system.
Yep, that would be my first thing to try, but I recently moved and I don't have anyone near to ask for a GPU/PSU to test.

tvilaboa

Reputable
Oct 4, 2016
Updated: Removed and cleaned GPU and the same thing happened. However, I then changed it to another PCIE slot(x8) and it started working again. It seems the issue is the previous PCIE slot may not be providing the expected power. I'll clean it and try again. Also, anyone has a similar card to compare benchmarks? Not sure about the actual impact of using a x8 slot. I'm getting a lower score than a brand new RX470 but it may be related to the extensive usage of this card.
https://www.geeks3d.com/20160824/msi-radeon-rx-470-gaming-x-8gb-gddr5-review/

• FurMark 1080 preset: 3099 points
  • AlienVsPredator benchmark: Average FPS: 113.8

tvilaboa

Reputable
Oct 4, 2016
I managed to run TWW2 without issues using the new PCIE slot but then I tried to change the config using MSI Gaming App and the same thing started happening with the new slot. I tried a clean driver install using both DDU and AMD reset factory setting option. Also, I flashed an updated BIOS to the GPU, did a CMOS reset on the mother, changed to default configs, etc. I even turned it off for 12 hours and tried again to see if it had anything to do with temperature or having been running for a long time, but the same exact thing happened. I'm running out of explanations. The only thing I can think of is that the GPU is causing damage to the PCI slots when running at max frequency/power.

Try deleting and updating your drivers maybe? My card was doing the same thing with 1 game and re-installing the graphics drivers was my fix.
Yes, I tried that several times with 19.12.2 and 19.12.3. Maybe I can try with an older driver, but the fact that it started working again using the new slot with the same driver is disconcerting. I didn't reinstall the driver after changing the slot nor restarted. Maybe it had something to do with that.